Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

easy RAM ? from a desparate man

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
My Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop and Gateway m275 tablet both decided to go belly up over the weekend. I was able diagnose and to change the HD in the gateway. It is back alive now. But it only has 750mb of PC2700 333hz 200pin SoDimm RAM and is painfully slow for the stuff I ask it to do. I just can't cough up the cash for RAM right now.
The Dell however has 2 x 1gb sticks of pc 2100 266hz 200pin SoDimm. Could I temporarily use the PC2100 sticks in the Gateway despite the slower ratings? Would I really see any improvement by increasing the overall RAM amount albeit with slower RAM?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Performance difference between 768 and 1024Mb is not noticeable. You see more of a jump in performance between 256Mb and 512Mb of total system memory under XP than anywhere else. Under Vista the difference between 512Mb and 1Gb can be radical.

If the memory fits, try popping it in and if the machine likes it, it'll come on. If it doesn't then it, um, won't come on.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Yes you will see an improvement going to the 2 gb slower RAM. You should not have any problems running the slower RAM in your Gateway.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
1.24 gb installed now,the other stick is under the keyboard What the...? Gateway couldn't find a more inconvenient place? But it is definitely improved a little already.
Thanks all...
Now if any Vista experts can assist with my Vista network problem I will be computer problem free for the first time in months...

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
OK both sticks in now, showing 1.99 gb. It seems faster in general so I am happy for now.
Thanks for the help!!!!

Angelboi

Angelboi

• PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Whats your network problem? Wireless I would assume? Vista is notorious for wireless issues.
Things you might want to try:
-Disabling/Re-enabling the wireless
-Rebooting the wireless router (Unplug replug the power)
-Just be patient until it slowly and painfully connects.