Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Home Disc

• Please log in to reply

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have been trying to reinstall windows XP since my hardrive was returned giving it the all clear... I boot from disc go through all the usual stuff until it says setup needs to reboot, it reboots but when it restarts it says 39 minutes remaining.... but after that it freezes there... there 5 green squares in the bottom right corner stop and the disc drive busy light goes out... I have since tried to format another drive and the same thing happened in the exact same space...

My disc is an original, is does anyone know if there is a legal place to download it seeing as I have they key...

The disc has surface scratches on it, I have tried cleaning it but to no avail, could anything else cause this problem, I still can get on the machine using a drive windows is already installed on, so if anyone could recommend any tests I could try I can do so still...

any help greatly appreciated :)

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
The only legal download is by paying for another copy. The fact you already own a legal copy isn't going to get around that.
Try making a copy on to a CD-R (you're allowed to make one backup copy for yourself). Sometimes a cd burning application will read a scratched disc just fine to make a copy of it, even if that source disc won't work for installing. I had to do exactly that with a driver CD once.
It wouldn't install so I made a copy, and the copy worked fine.

Alternatively, you can try one of those rotary cd-cleaners which remove scratches

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00009OWF6

or use the DIY approach:

http://lifehackery.c...07/14/gadgetry/

I would try the cd copy option first before moving on to scratch removal.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Borrow a CD from someone or you can get a replacement from Microsoft.

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
was worth a shot, thanks for the advice guys

I copied my original XP disc to a new folder... then used Nero data to burn it... when I put it in the pc it says its empty.. it clearly isnt... im wondering if the laser in my burner has run out of steam.... as I then tried the disc in my wifes laptop and it says the same the thing... unfortunatley her laptop doesnt have a dvd burner otherwise I would of tried it from there first...