Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP won't start - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

BaD_kRuStY

BaD_kRuStY

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all,

I have a problem. Obviously... :)

I have reformated my computer (have done this 4-5 times in the past and did a good job, this time it was from 1am to 4am so maybe that's why) and have managed to somehow stuff it up so it won't even start. Last thing I did was played in the BIOS. I am pretty sure I just changed the boot order to hard drive, cd rom, floppy but i know i was also looking at video card settings but am pretty sure i haven't touched a thing. I then saved it and exited. It shut down adn when it was supposed to boot up BOOOMMM...

It won't even show the first usual picture of the chip logo, it wan't start anything. It's not dead, not like the power supply is broken or anything, just that it won't do anything, just the fans turn on and keep working. I am pretty sure I have stuffed something up in the bios so hence need some help how to reset probably the BIOS and then maybe carry on or re start with my format.

Please advise how and what I should do... I am sure that one of you geniuses knows what to do... thanks boys and gals...

Look forward to seeing in 6-7 hours your thoughts... last night slept 2 hours, now need to catch up on sleep.

thanks guys...

Sebastian

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
unplug the computer from the wall, open the side of the case and remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard (it's a watch battery...and it's the only battery on the motherboard), with the battery out and the PC unplugged hold the power button in for 30 to 45 seconds, then put the battery back in, close the case, plug it in and start it up...when it's starting up go back into bios and set the system time. don't change anything else just the time.

BaD_kRuStY

BaD_kRuStY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
You are a GENIUS... I asked so many people and no one had a clue.

Thank you so much, can you just tell me what went wrong? So I know NOT to ever do it again? :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
not without knowing what you changed

BaD_kRuStY

BaD_kRuStY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks anyways... i am not sure either what i have changed. :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
post what you pmed me here so others can see it...

do you have your windows disk?