Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Im looking for a wireless router that has the ability to turn the wireless on and off with a switch. Something that doesnt involve logging into the router to disable it.

Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i've never heard of such a thing...and can't forsee a reason why someone would make one....it's not THAT hard to turn it off through the admin console

you could always find the power connection on the board that turns the wireless chip on and off and wire in a switch there...though i would imagine that it's pretty well tied in to the rest of the routing.....maybe a switch on the antenna itself?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Trust me this is the most ridiculous I was asked but because of WHO asked the question I thought I would throw it out there. His idea is he wants to use wireless at home now because he got an iPhone and some apps need wireless. But he doesnt want it broadcasting all day long. He wants to have something that can turn the wireless off and on. Having him trolling around the web ui for the router can only probably lead to bad things.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
....why does he want to turn the wireless off when he's not using it? your CEO needs a brain transplant...he always asks for the stupidest things

all he needs to do is secure the network correctly and he won't have to worry about people getting on the thing without approval (because if it's not secure...there's just as much chance of someone leaching while it's on with the switch)...

if he's worried about electricity usage...you're not gonna win any green awards by turning off the wireless radio...

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
hahahahahaha yeah you can probably see a pattern emerging with him.

He cant accept the way things are, and if you dont like the way things work, choose another option but he doesnt get it. He takes what he wants then wants to change it for him and says I cant be the only one that wants this. Like 4 exchange accounts on a Palm. Hence the iPhone which will solve is mobile issues, lol.

Oh man cracks me up sometimes then just turns so frustrating.

Yeah I will relay the bad news, lol.

Thanks as always.