Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor Upgrading Question

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
:)

OK, so I didn't have the partition on my drive, and I've been getting a little antsy about thinking of removing the processor from the system. Which would hurt as it is not returnable once opened. I'm quite worried about a 250 dollar paperweight.

I booted from the Resource CD from Dell and tried every testing tool on their. No problems detected. So I started to wonder if the new OS Disk from Microsoft with SP1 was the cause. The last time I installed an OS was before this processor, and it was using a Vista Ultimate DVD No SP1. So thinking of it, I decided to try and use that disk. Blue Screen of Death Appeared. I almost wet my pants. I was using all 4 GB of memory in the system since it seemed that was not the problem. But now I was getting a blue screen. So I decided to try some stuff out. First, I tried changing out the new memory 1 at a time, and it blue screened me each time. then I put 1 stick of the new Memory in, and the old one in the Dim 4 Slot. No Blue Screen! It seemed to work fine with either memory stick, unless I put one of the new sticks into the DIM 4. This seems completely bonkers and crazy to me. So I tried to install with this configuration, and during the first reboot, the system just starts rebooting and fails to finish the Setup. If I remove the memory from the other 2 slots, it will boot up just fine. Is it possible that those 2 spots on the Board have gone Bad? Or just spot 4? It seems awfully strange to me and I'm at my wits end...

Will I have to change the Processor back to the old one? Any other recommendations. I've done all I can think of doing. I was hoping this would be easy.

This is the New Memory that I bought, it matches the memory I purchased over a year ago when I upgraded to 3 GB of Memory.
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=2263

If you know any other helpful topics I would greatly appreciate it.

Things I've Ruled out already:
1. Bad Hard Drive - Disabled all of them except 1 Hard Drive, and have tested 2 different ones.
2. Bad CD/DVD Drive - Disabled in Tern, and have never had issue with one before.
3. Other bad PCI Cards - Only the Video and Sound Card are plugged into the system board.

Things I'm still wondering about
1. When I installed the new Memory, and took out the old, the Vista Rating Dropped from 5.0 to a 4.8? Something wrong here?
2. Having to replace the Motherboard/ re-seat old processor
3. Having to guess at replacing Sound/Video card to see if that changes anything.

Having lost out on the memory doesn't worry me, 30 dollars isn't bad. But the problem is the processor. The diagnostics show nothing wrong with it, but there isn't a way to return it to TigerDirect, they won't take back the processor once opened. I've been saving for a while to get this processor, so a new computer is out of the question. I would like one, but with College and Life, can't afford the new 3,000 dollar versions of this system. I hope we can figure it out, but I'm at a loss, and don't know where to turn. Warranty is expired through Dell. Thanks again for all the help. Can't wait to hear back.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Bumping to keep topic in my subscribed topics.

Any luck on those processor tests?

And I had a thought - try installing Vista with 2GB of RAM, then upgrade to 4 once it is installed.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Sorry, no luck. I contacted TigerDirect to see about an exchange for it, and they no longer carry it... So i was able to get a refund on the product. I have already shipped it back and been issued a refund. also as a note, I did try and install with 2GB of memory, and it did not have the Blue screen, but the system was still slow.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You were running a 64-bit system with only 2GB of RAM? Of course it would be slow.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
We were having issues with the new processor and 4GB of RAM....

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
And by slow I mean it seemed to wok fine for a little and then it would lock up for no reason. Usually I would then have to reboot. Thanks!