Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow internet with cable and freezing on shutdown

• Please log in to reply

WhiskeyGirl

WhiskeyGirl

• Pip
  • 6 posts
:) I have Charter internet service I am not sure if this is why it runs so slowly with cable. It takes sometimes 20 minutes to connect to the internet. It also stops trying to connect and lags to where I get can not find web page error.

:) The other problem I am having is when I turn off my computer I get the following error message. Program Stopped Responding sprtcmd.exe I do not know what this program is or how to get rid of it but if I need to go into the other room for any reason while the computer is shutting down and this error pops up the whole computer freezes and I have no choice but to hit the reset button on my serge protector.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
WhiskeyGirl...ehehe a girl after my own heart

Sprtcmd.exe SEEMS to be related to either a dell support function or other support programs related to DSL or cable internet connections..

has your internet connection ever worked right? is this a new thing? or has it always done this?

how are you connected to the modem? ethernet or USB?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
I can confirm that sprtcmd.exe is the executable for the Dell Support Center - SupportSoft being the program on which DSC is based. If you do not actively use the Dell Support Center, I recommend that you just uninstall it and don't let it bother you anymore. You can remove it by going to the Start menu, and selecting Control Panel. Double-click on Add/Remove Programs, which will open a new window. Find the Dell Support Center line and click on it, then click the Change/Remove button. Follow the prompts to remove the program from your computer. Reboot a couple of times to make sure it isn't bugging you anymore!

I'll let dsenette follow up on your internet issue! :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Dell Support Center has very known issues, and uninstalling it is a very good idea.

WhiskeyGirl

WhiskeyGirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:) No the internet has not always been this slow. Charter tech came to the house and said the reason is I need to send the computer off and have it cleaned up I am laid off and dont have the money to do this though I dont want my internet to be so slow if this is the only solution then I am afraid I will just have to deal with it. I have a cable modem hookup I am relativly sure it is ethernet cable. :)

as for the other program I am fixing to uninstall it thank you I will let you know if it works

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Charter tech came to the house and said the reason is I need to send the computer off and have it cleaned up I am laid off and dont have the money to do this though I dont want my internet to be so slow if this is the only solution then I am afraid I will just have to deal with it.

simply untrue....you're actually in the best place possible to get your computer cleaned up if there's any funky bad stuff going on

before we go any further here i suggest you take a trip through the malware forum and see if they can make sure you're clean

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Just one comment...

I need to send the computer off and have it cleaned up

What kind of stupid advice is it? Maybe your computer has some garbage, or even an infection, but did he present any proof to what he said?