Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disk loading Error?

• Please log in to reply

Flame0103

Flame0103

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
KK here the prob, when I turn on my computer in the morning, after it gives me the post screen it tells me that it

needs Program Disk and to press enter to continue, but I have no idea what that is!!! When I turn it off and

turn it back on in the afternoon, the need for the disk disappears and the computers boots normaly?

This happens every day and I have no idea why this is cause, but if you guys can help me I'll really appreciate it!!!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
1. Click the Start button then select Run
2. In the Run window's Open box, type cmd or command
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking...
a. chkdsk c: /f /r and then press <Enter>
OR
b. chkdsk c: /f and then press <Enter> ....
5. With either command, a message will appear that says:"chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press <Enter>
7. A message will appear that will say: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts"
8. Type exit and then press <Enter> to close the MS-DOS-style black screen window
9. Reboot (restart) the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot (restart). While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot (restart) your computer.

Notes:
Typing chkdsk c: /f (as in 4b above) will only fix errors that are encountered, while typing chkdsk c: /f /r (as in 4a above) will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options (as in 4a above) can often take a considerable amount of time—depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it. For example, a 60GB hard drive with half the drive filled with data will take about an hour and fifteeen minutes when you use both the /f and /r options. Be prepared to take a long lunch because waiting for chkdsk to finish is somewhat akin to watching paint dry.

While running chkdsk with only the /f option is faster, it will only fix errors, not recover any lost data. However, using only the /f option on a similar 60GB hard drive with half the drive filled with data will only take about twenty minutes.

Flame0103

Flame0103

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Update: I can't get on to the Desktop and can't use Safe Mode because its stuck on Post Screen.

It says:
Verifying DMI Pool Data.......
Boot From ATAPI CD-ROM: Faliure.........
Boot From ATAPI CD-ROM: Faliure..........
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

and its stuck their, don't have system disk. HELP!!!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

When I turn it off and turn it back on in the afternoon, the need for the disk disappears and the computers boots normaly? This happens every day

if you ever get it to boot again run chkdsk /r

Computer stops at verifying dmi pool data....its been my experience that the drive is dead or dying when you get this happening

Cause:...This issue can be caused by any of the below reasons.

Corrupt boot files on the computer.
Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
Floppy diskette or CD in computer causing issue.
Boot devices not set properly.
BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
Connections loose or disconnected.
Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run HD diagnostic, first: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Those tools will create bootable CD for you.

Flame0103

Flame0103

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Screen stuck on POST Screen now. 7 years I had this comp. wow...

Whats the bootable CD for?

Edited by Flame0103, 04 December 2008 - 02:12 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
The link is to the drive manufacturers diagnostic tools.
We want you to check the drive for errors.

You must first find out who makes your hard drive (seagate/ maxtor/ western digital/ etc).
To do this you either need to open the case and look at the label or get into windows and go to properties under "my computer".

Flame0103

Flame0103

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I booted from CD so I could use the repair console their. When I pressed R it said that no hard drive was installed!! What the... is happening.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Computer stops / hangs at verifying dmi pool data....its been my experience that the drive is dead or dying when you get this happening

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Most likely...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

You must first find out who makes your hard drive (seagate/ maxtor/ western digital/ etc).
To do this you either need to open the case and look at the label or get into windows and go to properties under "my computer".

As stated, we believe the drive is dead.
You need to run the diagnostics.