Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen then error codes

• Please log in to reply

iron mum

iron mum

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
For the last few days I can not get on my computer as when it boots up I get the blue screen and a stop message.
The stop message always starts the same 0x0000008E but will then have different codes each time it gives me the stop message it is always in the SDACTMON2K.SYS which I have worked out from a lot of home work is part of my Spyware Detector but what does the 0x0000008E mean and can I fix it?.
I have a Hijackthis log but not sure were to post it.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you can boot into safe mode use the add/remove programs in the control panel and remove Spyware Detector

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi happyrock, I am going to remove it but does anyone know what the code 0x000008E means as I cn't find it ny were.

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Ok, I removed Spyware Detector and that fixed my problem at first, then I got another BSOD and an error in the APPFLT.SYS which I found to be a Panda IS file, I fixed that now i've got a third BSOD with the error 0x0000001A which apparently is my ram? i'm working on that but i'm begining to think if I fix that one what will be next and why all of a sudden do I have a problem with my ram it was fine till 2o mins ago (according to xp)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and Install security update 931784...
you will have to scroll down to the resolution section

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi their happyrock, I tried installing that update but it said that I have a newer service pack (service pack 3) and the file is not requierd.
At the moment the computer is running fine so hopfully it's now fixed...fingers crossed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you get another BSOD try testing your ram...
Memtest86+ is a comprehensive, stand-alone memory diagnostic tool. Basically, you need to put it to a diskette or cd to install the tool which will be later used to boot your computer and then perform the test....get it here
for floppy get the 6th one down...Download - Pre-Compiled package for Floppy (DOS - Win)
for the cd version get the 8th one down...Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

There are two ways to run Memtest86....

1. Using a floppy diskette.

Download Memtest86 then save it to your desktop.

Once download completes, right-click on memtest.zip
In the left hand column, click "Extract all Files". The Extraction Wizard will open.
Click Next, then extract to Desktop so you can easily locate it later.
Click ok.

Now to install the utility on a diskette.

Double-click on install.bat then follow the prompts to create the bootable diskette.
Boot computer via floppy disk.
Once loaded, the test will automatically run itself.
let it run for at least 3 hours then note any error/messages you receive ...it will run until you press the ESC key

2. Using a cd.

Download Memtest86 then save it to your desktop.

Once download completes, right-click on memtest.iso.zip.
In the left hand column, click "Extract all Files". The Extraction Wizard will open.
Click Next, then extract to Desktop so you can easily locate it later.
Click ok.

Now "burn image" (memtest.iso) to a cd using Nero or any burning program you have that will burn .ISO files (image)
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

Set the bios to boot computer using the CD drive...or floppy first...depending which version of memtest you got...
the test will automatically run itself as soon as you boot up
let it run for at least 3 hours then note any error/messages you receive ...it will run until you press the ESC key...if you want a thorough test...let it run overnite...if you get ANY ERRORS you will have to replace the ram....

iron mum

iron mum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi again happyrock, I managed to sort my computer, and was running sable again.
Unfortunatly all my files were all over the place and their was files were there shouldn't have been and other files were renamed, it was a mess.
I thought about spending the next 12 months sorting it but in the end decided to do a clean reinstall of XP.
What ever happened in the first place I was happy to do that rather than try and clean up and wonder what caused it and will it happen again.
I had all my importent files backed up on an external so it wasn't that bad.
I checked my comp after the install and all seems well.
Thanks again for your help, I will keep in mind the memtest if it goes again :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know...
:)