Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer not booting

• Please log in to reply

Clevername1

Clevername1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
System Specs:

Mobo- Foxconn 955x7aa
CPU- Pentium Dual-Core E2180
GPU- Sapphire HD 3850 1Gig DDR2 PCI-E
Memory-PNY DDR2 PC2-5300 667Mhz, 2x 1gig

Symptoms:

1.)Graphics card fan is not spinning (assuming it's not getting power, dead?).

2.)Computer doesn't respond to holding down power button for shut off. I must hit the switch on back of PSU.

3.)Sometimes wont turn on at all, fans spin for 1/2 sec and then nothing.

What I have done:

I have swapped out power supply with a known good. To verify that it's not the problem.

Moved around both memory sticks and have used a single stick in all 4 memory spots.

I have connected the PC speaker to the Mobo where the manual says. No beeps, I also tried connecting it the other way 'round. No dice.

Other thoughts:

I would guess it's the GPU, but the computer fans spinning for 1/2 sec then nothing makes me lean towards the Mobo. I however can't test if it's the GPU because I don't have another PCI-E GPU around and the Mobo is without on-board graphics.

I'm fairly sure I'll have to return something... I just can't figure out what.

Advertisements

Clevername1

Clevername1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Seems this Mobo doesn't support my new CPU. I'm getting a new Mobo to see if that's the problem. I'll post later on with the results.