Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

System Memory

• Please log in to reply

danlott84

danlott84

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
hello....i just have a simple question...i am wanting to upgrade RAM..the current sticks run at 2700...i was wondering if i buy two sticks at a higher speed would my computer support it, or does the motherboard only support a certain speed. I have an HP a622n model. so im just wondering if i can buy two faster speed ram sticks or can i only stay at 2700

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
2700 what? Megs???? if that's the case i can't imagine yo needing any more...if you mean 270 Megs then yes you can add as much as your motherboard will hold and your processor will suck it up.

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I believe he is refering to the speed of his DDR Ram which would be 2700 or 333Mhz. It is a much better option to try and get the same speed that you already have in there. Some of the times you can get the ram to clock down to the speed of what is currently in there, but there are some sticks of RAM that just wont play (not many that i have found, but there still are some out there.)

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
oh, uh...umm, yeah...what he said...

danlott84

danlott84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yes it is ddr ram, so you are saying that i cant buy faster ram. i am just wondering if i buy two matching sticks of say..3200 ram or whatever will my system run it....i am currently running at 2700...i guess my question is will my motherboard support a faster speed of the same ram...sorry so complicated

thanx :tazz:

Edited by danlott84, 03 May 2005 - 11:59 PM.

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
your system will run as much as the front side bus allows it to...if you find out your FSB speed you'll know your limitation...

danlott84

danlott84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
the processor is 400mhz front side...so you are saying that the ram speed cant exceed the processor....the ram i am running now is 333hhz, so i can run up to 400??

Edited by danlott84, 04 May 2005 - 12:06 AM.

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
the processor doesn't determine FSB does it??? I'm pretty sure that's a motherboard thing...all i know for sure is that that's how the processor talks to the mem so if 400 mhz
is the limit then that's the fastest you can get (not too knowledgeable on the ddr speed to mhz conversion but if 2700 is what you have and that makes 333mhz then it sounds like you'v got a little space to improve...but then again I had St. Louis in 5 on the world series.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
let's simplify this:

What is your motherboard make and model?

danlott84

danlott84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
lol...thank you nestorey....st. louis had a good team

Here is my motherboard specs:
NAME:
MSI name: MS-6577 V.4
HP/Compaq name: Gamilla2-GL6E

Socket 478

Chipset
845GV

Front Side Bus (FSB)
400/533 MHz

Memory

Two DDR DIMM (184-pin) sockets
Maximum memory: 1 GB
PC2700/PC2100

Audio
Down (on motherboard) AC97 (Realtek ALC658 chipset)
Graphics
Integrated
LAN
Realtek RTL8101L 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet Controller

Expansion Slots
Two PCI
I/O Ports

Rear
VGA
Two PS/2
One Parallel
One Serial
Four USB 2.0
One IEEE 1394
One RJ-45 LAN
Line in, Line out, Microphone in
Other

Two USB 2.0
One IEEE 1394

Feature Codes

G-graphics down (on motherboard)
L-LAN down (on motherboard)
E-1394 down (on motherboard)
6-6 speaker mode (Dolby 5.1)

Edited by danlott84, 04 May 2005 - 09:54 AM.

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
From what I can see from what you posted and what is on the net, the fastest RAM you can add to your machine is 2700. You might find that putting higher speed RAM into your machine will stop it from POSTing.

danlott84

danlott84

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
ok...thank you very much

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
No Problem