Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

elmos

elmos

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I gave my very old PC to my father. He uses it to stream videos/movies off websites, surf the web, etc... No gaming or anything. His computer currently has 512 RAM which I bought and upgraded myself. The computer is kind of ancient and it uses DDR RAM (Not DDR2). I checked the type of RAM on crucial, and it reads: PC2700 DDR, or PC3200 DDR. The thing is that I don't know how much RAM he'll need since he uses DDR the slower RAM. If you need anymore information please ask. Newegg sells the two types of RAM I need. I can't get another 512 because the website advises me to use the same stick if possible, since I bought the 512 a long time ago; I doubt they still have it. So I'll need fresh RAM sticks. Thanks. If there's anything else you need to know please ask.

Processor: 1.67 GHz AMD Athlon
RAM: 512 MB DDR
HD: 60 GB

Edited by elmos, 19 November 2008 - 09:55 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
512MB is usually enough for just basic computing and Windows XP. If the user is going to be using the computer extensively, I usually recommend upgrading to 1GB or so.

You can still get DDR RAM sticks. I would probably recommend just buying 1 or 2 512MB sticks of DDR PC3200 and using those since it's a bit faster then PC2700.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

You can still get DDR RAM sticks. I would probably recommend just buying 1 or 2 512MB sticks of DDR PC3200 and using those since it's a bit faster then PC2700.

But not on that processor being it only has a front side bus of 133 (it's an Athlon XP 2000) so realistically the full transfer speed will never be realised.
The computer will work with PC3200, it'll just never run at that speed as the processor is slower.
But having said that, an upgrade to 1Gb may be worth doing depending on the uses of the original poster. For Youtube streaming and stuff it's fine but if you're running anti-virus an upgrade would be beneficial.