Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

monitor coloring/brightness

• Please log in to reply

alineinasong

alineinasong

• Pip
  • 7 posts
so, i have had this problem with the laptop since i bought it a few months ago. i have an hp pavilion dv6000 running windows vista, amd dual core, 3 gb of ram.

when i first got the laptop, i noticed the screen was almost too bright. now i've noticed the top of the screen is darker than the bottom, not significantly, but enough for me to notice on solid colored backgrounds and since i do a decent bit of graphic design its proving to be a bit of a problem since photos near the bottom of the screen are 2 to 3 shades lighter than those at the top, which also screws with the contrast. on backgrounds with really really thin stripes, the screen also appears to flicker.

i took it in to best buy (i have a performance plan) and the person there said they would replace the backlight/screen. they sent it out to hp, where it apparently passed all hardware tests and was sent back to the store for "video driver repair". i wasn't able to check the laptop before i left the store but when i got home, nothing was changed.

so, i'm faced with a bit of a dilemma. the screen makes it pretty much impossible to do anything graphics/photo related, and i have trouble getting true colors to show up (black looks washed out/grey but it could be glare) and its just really frustrating. its not a driver problem, since i tested it on linux and had the same problem. is it possible this could just be a design flaw, and its something i'm going to have to live with now, or should i bring it back to the store again? i'm afraid they'll just tell me the same thing again and i'm stuck with this laptop. granted, i probably should've returned it soon after i bought it and picked something else but now there's nothing i can do about it. ive checked all sorts of reviews online and haven't heard of anyone else having this sort of problem so i'm kind of at a loss.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well if they replace the screen and the backlight and you still have this problem my best guess is either the cable is misseated or bad or maybe the video card itself or as you have mentioned a design flaw... personally I'd take it back and see what they will do... I would also consider talking to the better business bureau.... having said that there is a classification on lcd screens that say they can have a certain amount of flaws and still be considered "good".

Good Luck

alineinasong

alineinasong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

well if they replace the screen and the backlight and you still have this problem my best guess is either the cable is misseated or bad or maybe the video card itself or as you have mentioned a design flaw... personally I'd take it back and see what they will do... I would also consider talking to the better business bureau.... having said that there is a classification on lcd screens that say they can have a certain amount of flaws and still be considered "good".

Good Luck

that's the thing - the people in the store said the backlight/screen needed to be replaced, then they sent it out where it "passed all hardware tests" so they didn't actually replace it, and i think if i bring it back the same thing will happen.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
call the better business bureau ... or at least threaten to call them...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Make sure that you document everything!
The problem is most likely cable, driver, software for the display (as already stated).

alineinasong

alineinasong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Make sure that you document everything!
The problem is most likely cable, driver, software for the display (as already stated).

I have all the geek squad papers which list out the complaints I made and what was done about them.

Is there any way this could be poor design on HP's part? I've loved every laptop I've had from them so I don't think so and I don't remember there being any problems with the store model. Its a DV6915nr to be more specific.

alineinasong

alineinasong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Any other input?

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Any other input?

I hate to say this but as a graphic designer you are MUCH more sensitive to these things than is the general public. Therefore you are seeing the effect of what amounts ot most laptop makers use garbage quality (subjective here) panels in their displays. They are almost ALWAYS TN panels, which have worse viewing angles and tpyically subpar color reproduction, on top of that you end up with a lot of backligh bleeding, this is indicated by the light being brighter at the bottom than the top.

Here is an extreme example. Note that screen should be more or less solid black (or as black as an LCD can be):
http://www.elsniwiki...n9400_black.jpg

Do a GIS and you will see all the images of backlight bleeding. ALso, HP has NOTHING to do with the display other than saying to the panel maker hey I want x number of these panels. They basically pick one out from the manufacturers lineup and use it in that model. THe main players in LCD are LG, Samsung, Sharp, Au something etc.

Get them to replace it, often times, you can get a bad panel with EXTREME bleed. Make the store note to the testers that you are having a problem with backlight bleed and as a graphic designer you are more sensitive to it than a normal user and to PLEASE replace the panel even if the hardware tests out ok.

alineinasong

alineinasong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Any other input?

I hate to say this but as a graphic designer you are MUCH more sensitive to these things than is the general public. Therefore you are seeing the effect of what amounts ot most laptop makers use garbage quality (subjective here) panels in their displays. They are almost ALWAYS TN panels, which have worse viewing angles and tpyically subpar color reproduction, on top of that you end up with a lot of backligh bleeding, this is indicated by the light being brighter at the bottom than the top.

Here is an extreme example. Note that screen should be more or less solid black (or as black as an LCD can be):

Do a GIS and you will see all the images of backlight bleeding. ALso, HP has NOTHING to do with the display other than saying to the panel maker hey I want x number of these panels. They basically pick one out from the manufacturers lineup and use it in that model. THe main players in LCD are LG, Samsung, Sharp, Au something etc.

Get them to replace it, often times, you can get a bad panel with EXTREME bleed. Make the store note to the testers that you are having a problem with backlight bleed and as a graphic designer you are more sensitive to it than a normal user and to PLEASE replace the panel even if the hardware tests out ok.

I did a GIS and this http://i15.tinypic.com/2u4pyck.jpg or this http://img401.images...58319692xl5.jpg looks a lot like what my laptop is doing. It is quite obvious that there's a problem, even my roommates who do nothing with graphic design noticed the difference. If I have an image at the bottom of the screen and a duplicate at the top, there is quite a noticeable difference between the shades and the tones.

I'm going to try and bring it back sometime in the next few weeks, thank you very much for your input!

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Any other input?

I did a GIS and this http://i15.tinypic.com/2u4pyck.jpg or this http://img401.images...58319692xl5.jpg looks a lot like what my laptop is doing. It is quite obvious that there's a problem, even my roommates who do nothing with graphic design noticed the difference. If I have an image at the bottom of the screen and a duplicate at the top, there is quite a noticeable difference between the shades and the tones.

I'm going to try and bring it back sometime in the next few weeks, thank you very much for your input!

yep thats backlight bleeding and you are quite welcome.