Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

refrigerated computer

• Please log in to reply

macattack0037

macattack0037

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So my room mate and I have been trying new ways to keep the temperatures in our computers down. We actually built our own water cooling system for around 35 bucks from parts from Wal-mart. Easy.

But so we were thinking, has anyone tried using a mini fridge as a case for a computer. Like putting everything in the computer and drilling a small hole for the cables to come out. I don't mean like just throwing everything in there but actually doing it nice. Drilling mounts and securing everything in correctly.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Some ideas similarly have occurred:

Evolution of the Fridge Computer
Japanese company combines computer and refrigerator
US Patent 6483695 - Computer/keyboard built into refrigerator door
Computer in a refrigerator?
And in a reverse idea: Refrigerator Cools Future Computers

Edited by Major Payne, 19 November 2008 - 11:14 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
I can’t imagine a real need for it, but it sounds like a pretty fun project! What kind of rig are you running that you already built a water cooling system for, and you still need a refrigerator to keep it cool? :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

But so we were thinking, has anyone tried using a mini fridge as a case for a computer. Like putting everything in the computer and drilling a small hole for the cables to come out. I don't mean like just throwing everything in there but actually doing it nice. Drilling mounts and securing everything in correctly.

i've actually done something like this before....we gutted an old computer and mounted everything in a minifridge...the problem is moisture....you're going to get a lot of condensation since it's not a sealed system...we just packed as many of those silica gel packets as we could find in our clothes and shoe boxes....seemed to help...

i did once find a link where someone had done something with one of those mini fridges that also has a freezer where they put the MOBO with the proc and video card in the freezer part and the rest of the equipment in the fridge part.....i think their temps were somewhere around 5 or 6 Celsius on the proc

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.fragware....e&id=13&pages=0

macattack0037

macattack0037

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
that's really cool. No pun intended there. And yea thats a really good idea with the gel things. i never thought of that.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
Another idea you can look at, as you already have water cooling is a water chiller. I use them in my lab all the time on my columns and rotovaps. They can run off straight water, water and ethanol etc. I think the ones I used could get down to -20C, of course not with water, so cold enough.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I would love to do this one day. :)

I've always wanted to do it... Although I would have just a small hole with all the cables through, instead of the whole rear of the case visible through the door.

Too bad if the fridge died on you though... It looks like they picked up a cheapie, and like anything you buy cheap... :)

Troy

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Fridges are not build to run 24/7 and the compressor will burn out rather quickly. Additionally as mentioned by dsenette, condensation may be an issue if you are in a humid environment, though most modern fridges remove the humidity from the air so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
If you are serious about getting below ambient temps, the only method that you can try is cold plates, LN2 and TEC cooling, among a few others. Many of which are VERY expensive and in the case of LN2, very, very risky and should only be performed on hardware you're willing to lose.

Lastly, if you do try this, which I don't recommend, remember to remove your hard drive from the cold. Hard drives do not like a cold environment.
James

Edited by james_8970, 29 November 2008 - 09:38 PM.