Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

CCleaner for XP

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I just learned of this application -- for deleting unused files -- and it sounds good. Is it really safe to install? I'd appreciate any endorsements or cautions. Thanks.

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well there is the default caution, allowing an application to delete files and / or touch the registry can be tricky and should be approached with care.

But, for CCleaner I have had very good luck with the entire application. I deploy it in my domain enviorment to over 250 computers for over a year. Never once have I had an issue using it. I always make a backup to the registry before cleaning it. Also read carefully through the selections in the cleaner section, you may want to keep some stuff. I personally do not, I select everything and allow it to delete all. The Tools section is great because it shows you what starts when your computer starts, similar to "msconfig"
In the newer versions It allows you to disable startup items or delete them. Again be careful, I would disable them in case you find out you need it. Again, I disable all of mine but it depends on your installed applications.

In the end it may seem vauge and back and forth, but I endorse CCleaner, Ive always had good luck and I havent found something that works better everytime with no worries.

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,917 posts
  • MVP
If I were you, I'd use ATF Cleaner. It doesn't target registry entries at all, and is quick and safe. I have yet to hear of any circumstances in which it harmed a user's computer. While CCleaner is not a bad program, any program that allows the user to scan the registry and delete entries has the potential to cause damage to the PC. Jaxisland does the right thing by backing up the registry first, but I would prefer something that doesn't touch it to begin with.