Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

There can only be one RAM stick at a time.

• Please log in to reply

iman7

iman7

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Wow, I think I go here every month with a new problem... Lucky me, and my knowledge is all but limited so I can't really give much back...

Okay on to the actual problem. I booted up to my PC did some photoshop work on a project. Weird thing is that it lagged. So I checked the RAM finding that I only have 512 Mb instead of 1.5 Gb. Now heres where things start to go odd. Running on an Nforce3-a mobo.

Configuration 1:

Slot 1: 512 Mb
Slot 2: 1.5 Gb
Only the stick in Slot 1 gets detected

Configuration 2:

Slot 1: Empty
Slot 2: 1 Gb

The 1 Gb stick gets detected

They worked fine together ever since I got them and this is the first time I've ever had any RAM related problems.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Are they the same speed? Also have you tried the 1gb in the first slot either by itself or with the 512 in the other?

iman7

iman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Wow, this fixed itself. I tried with both sticks in and Its working now.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
might want to get memtest86 and run a memory test.... it may be that one or the other is going bad or it could be one of the slots is going bad or maybe just a compatibility issue especially if they are not the same speed/brand.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Could also be that they just needed to be reseated.