Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer not starting up at all

• Please log in to reply

BrianK213

BrianK213

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is an Alienware system thats probably going on 4-5 years old. Has started up every day without any problem. Yesterday the computer did not start at all.

What I have done:

I visited a few tech boards already and tried a few tricks to test certain issues. First thing I tested was the paperclip into the 20 pin (pin 4) and grounded it to the case. (disconnected from the motherboard fyi)

- The fans come on, Cd-roms will eject ect. Not sure if the hard drive is booting up, doesn't sound like it. The video card and processor fans do not start.

Second test I did was shorting out the 2 pin connector for the power button on the Mobo with a screwdriver to see if it was malfunctioning. However the test did not power up the computer or do anything. (I read that by touching both pins will start the computer in the event the power button fails or shorts out.)

Third thing I tried was acually testing the 20 pin connector while plugged into the motherboard. I pressed a paperclip down into pin 4 and grounded it to the metal case behind the motherboard.

- Everything comes on including the motherboard processor fan and video card fan. However by doing this, the motherboard lets out a loud continuous beep.

I have ordered a new power supply (prior to these tests) but it hasn't arrived yet. I wanted to see if anyone had any added into as to what this could be if the power supply does not fix it. I suppose the motherboard would be the next to go in the event the powersupply doesn't do the trick.

Thanks in advance for replies.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
The problem is most likely not the power supply. Since the thing powers on, that tells me that it's getting power. It's possible that the issues the power supply, but I doubt it.

Could be the RAM. How much do you have in this system? If there's more then one stick, try removing one of them and (if that doesn't fix it) replace it and remove another one.

BrianK213

BrianK213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have 1 gig stick installed currently. I just tested my old Ram that I upgraded with and still won't boot up. :)

Also in order to get the motherboard and vid card fans to start up is by using the paper clip in pin 4 and grounding it while pushing the 20 pin connector into the mobo. It doesn't start up with the pin trick if its already plugged into the mobo. Not sure if that extra tid-bit helps.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Hmm...Can you replace the video card? Modem? Usually if one of expansion cards fails and is still plugged in the computer won't boot. I would try booting it without any cards plugged in and see if that works (Yes, take the video card out, the test is to see if it powers on, not to see if it gives video.) If it does, try putting cards back in one at a time until it stops working.

BrianK213

BrianK213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Same result = nadda.

I removed all the cards, vid and sound. Modem is integrated.

Also not sure if its relevant, when turning on the power supply using the switch on the PSU, you can hear a faint high pitch sound like the hard drive makes when turning on. This sound is coming from the PSU tho.

Also the Asus mobo has a green light built into it that comes on with the PSU sound.

So I guess last thing it can be is a bad mobo or bad PSU? Hard drive failure cause it to not boot?

I still wonder if its the power switch on the case. Was the test I did to check it useful? The button seemed to be failing before this happened. Meaning I would have to sometimes press the button twice to get the comp to turn on. Also there were times I would have to hold the button in a few times to get it to power down (on lock ups).

Edited by BrianK213, 20 November 2008 - 04:07 PM.

BrianK213

BrianK213

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Problem was resolved with the new power supply even though the paper clip trick did activate all the fans. Odd...

Question tho, is having too much wattage bad on the computer? My old power supply was 420W and this new one is 600W. I went for a bigger PSU cause I am rebuilding this comp soon but I don't want to ruin this mobo.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
You can't have too much watt.
The watt is what the PSU can supply at max but any thing less means the it is not working at full capacity.
It is like the speedometer in a car. It can go up to 200 kph but it is fine even going at 100 or 150 kph