Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W2k Profiles problem?

• Please log in to reply

Jamluv

Jamluv

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I support a proprietry Auditing system which uses Ms Excel and Word. It was running ok until we moved to win2k. a new installation only lasts a few weeks b4 document start taking 2 long to open or not opening at all. lately i discovered that when i log in as admin everthing works and i just resorted to creating a new user profile but i cant keep creating new user profiles all the time.

is it a problem with the profiles or they get corrupted, how can check or repair profiles without recreating them?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
proprietary is the key word here...who made it? What does it do?

You mentioned creating new accounts with admin status...what about non-admin status?

The fact that it works for a while in new profiles leads me to believe the process is using an inprofile temp directory, perhaps, and that temp directory is filling up....is their a disk quota for user profiles? Also, monitor the pagefile usage...does it increase over time?

Another thought....you didn't mention what the program does, but is it making changes to a document and adding, deleting, adding, deleting....etc

Do the documents grow extraordinarily large quickly? Try doing a SAVE AS on the document, giving it a new name, then deleting the original document, then renaming the new document as the original name (to assure continuity with whatever process you take.

SAVE can maintain information from edit to edit performed by scripts and that can lead to very large files...a save as will remove some of this hidden info and shrink the document.

Jamluv

Jamluv

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

proprietary is the key word here...who made it? What does it do?

-Accounting and reporting.

You mentioned creating new accounts with admin status...what about non-admin status?

-same with all accounts..

The fact that it works for a while in new profiles leads me to believe the process is using an inprofile temp directory, perhaps, and that temp directory is filling up....is their a disk quota for user profiles? Also, monitor the pagefile usage...does it increase over time?

-Tru about the temp.

Another thought....you didn't mention what the program does, but is it making changes to a document and adding, deleting, adding, deleting....etc

Do the documents grow extraordinarily large quickly? Try doing a SAVE AS on the document, giving it a new name, then deleting the original document, then renaming the new document as the original name (to assure continuity with whatever process you take.

-yes they do grow really big. documents open from within the program. no save as

SAVE can maintain information from edit to edit performed by scripts and that can lead to very large files...a save as will remove some of this hidden info and shrink the document.

-any tool to optmize word and excel. or clean profiles?

View Post

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would be afraid to offer a suggestion given the custom nature of the program

We don't even know for certain the program is using the profile temp or it's own temp.

What i would try, if I had a back up and was confident I could restore this custom app is a script to clean the profile temp directory at logon and see if that solves the issue. BUt really, you need to know if the app needs to retrieve anything from the temp directory from session to session.