Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows freezing for about 1 minute, then resuming as normal.

• Please log in to reply

Little_Raven

Little_Raven

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to take a look at my issue! I really hope you can help me out. I've searched through the other posts here, and none quite match my problem.

First off, this is a new computer. Perhaps 1 month old. Also, I purchased 2 exact models of the machine I'm currently having trouble with. Mine is buggy, the other (my wife's) is just fine. Which leads me to believe that I installed something that my machine doesn't like. Beats me as to what that is, I haven't installed much.

My machine freezes up at seemingly random times, with no rhyme or reason that I can see. It also does it in a wave, not all at once. If I have multiple programs up, one will freeze first, then perhaps 30 seconds to a minute later, the other will freeze. It will last about 1-2 minutes, then my computer will resume like nothing ever happened. Sometimes it's once an hour or two, sometimes they are only seconds apart. I ran virus checks, they came up clean. Not a single threat found, which I find suspicious. There's never NOTHING to be found! I ran disk checks, no errors and no effect to be seen.

Sometimes when I reboot I get a screen recommending that I do a system repair. If I allow it, I get a blue screen of death, and have to reboot again. Skipping it lets me back onto windows.

I can't think of why this is happening. I haven't installed anything new lately, and it's only been happening for 2 days now. I'm at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

it's only been happening for 2 days now

Did you try System Restore?

Little_Raven

Little_Raven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Wow... don't I feel stupid! I sometimes forget this is not my old computer and I can actually restore now. I just gave that a try, restored back to Sunday. I can't remember exactly when this problem started, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't that long ago. I just finished, so I'll need some time to see if it changes anything. I'll post back in a little bit with an update one way or the other.

Thanks for reminding me! I hope that does the trick.

Ok, I hit Preview Post, and it froze again. At least it was quick about it, lol. So no, restore did not help. Should I try another restore point, one further back? Like I said, I'm fairly certain I didn't have this problem on Sunday.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try another Restore Point.

Also...
Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

How much RAM do you have?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
You have symptoms of malware.
I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Little_Raven

Little_Raven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ah ha! I think I might have found something.

I did a google search and read a few threads here and there, and someone gave the advice of running Event Viewer from the Administrator Tools in control panel. I followed those instructions, and found errors. TONS of errors. 2,711 of them. And a lot of them coincide with when my machine freezes. I checked the time when the last freeze occured, and a new error popped up in event viewer at that exact moment. This is the error:

A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0.

Also, there are warnings and a few criticals. One of the Critical errors reads:

A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

Ugh I'm freezing up constantly again. I swear it comes and goes in spurts.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
As hfcg said, check for infection, first. From reading different boards, it may be one of the causes.
Some other possibilities:
- as I said before, overheating - run that SpeedFan
- power supply issues
Read this thread: http://forums13.itrc...hreadId=1267106

Little_Raven

Little_Raven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ah, I guess I forgot to update what I've done in my latest reply.

I tried an earlier restore point, and I have followed every step in the Malware Guide, and have posted my HiJackThis log and uninstall list in that forum, as suggested. I was unable to find much. I also downloaded and ran SpeedFan. My computer is running a bit hot, but I don't have the funds to purchase any new hardware right now.

GPU: 54C
Temp: 54C
Temp1: 25C
Temp2: 42C
Temp3: 41C
Temp1: 25C
Core 0: 33C
Core 1: 30C
Core 2: 32C

The power supply is not lacking; it's something I added on myself, not the basic junk that came with the PC. I have at least 100w more than I need at my disposal. Again, my wife's computer uses the exact same power supply as well.

I am up to over 3,300 errors in my Event Viewer log, a lot of them coinciding exactly with my freezes. The one that seems to be causing the issue, or at least popping up every time I encounter the issue, is:

A parity error was detected on \Device\RaidPort0.

The source listed is "nvstor64"

I'm still reading through that thread you linked me but it is huge. I have downloaded and ran PassMark. My score was 1163.7. If you wish I can upload the baseline.

I am using Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHz processor and 4GB RAM.

I apologize for the delay between replies. My wife is sick and I've been taking care of her. I feel like a headless chicken, lol.

Thanks for getting back to me, I really appreciate it! If there's anything else I can do, I'm always open to suggestions.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Don't worry about any delays. We all have private lives.
Try hfcg's suggestion to make sure, your computer is clean.

Little_Raven

Little_Raven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there!

I followed hfcg's suggestion to the letter, and am currently waiting on a reply on that new thread.

However... I think.. and I hate saying this because it will just jinx it.... I may have fixed it.

I saw another thread somewhere suggesting to plug the CD drive into a different port. For some reason that fixed the problem for them. I gave it a go, and so far I've gone at least two hours without a single freeze up. Of course, now that I've said this, it will freeze, lol.

Apparently the error I've been getting has something to do with burning a CD and getting a buffer underrun, and that somehow corrupts a file having to do with my CD drive, and swapping out ports bypasses it. I don't claim to know what the heck I'm talking about, I'm a newb at this sort of thing, but it may have worked for me. I'll update again when (not if; I jinxed it) it happens again. :)

Wish me luck!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You have my prayers :)

Little_Raven

Little_Raven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello again! Yep, I'm back. Told ya I would be!

So I've been toying with my machine a bit and I've come to the conclusion that it is indeed my DVD-ROM drive, or my installation of Vista has become corrupted and no longer plays well with said drive. Either way the results are the same. See I've fixed the issue, only I'm not happy with the fix. I have to disconnect the drive to stop the freezes. I had it disconnected since I last posted and have not suffered a single freeze. A few minutes ago I needed the drive so I reconnected it. Fifteen minutes later, a freeze.

I would really like to be able to use my DVD drive again though, so any help would be appreciated.

Also, I think I've fairly ruled out the possibility of malware. My machine has come back to me utterly spotless no matter how many tests I run it through, and I've ran quite a few!

Is it a hardware problem, and would a new DVD drive fix it? Or is Vista corrupted?

I hope it's not Vista since I don't have a CD. My computer never came with one, so reformatting/reinstalling isn't an option for me. At least a DVD drive would be easily (and cheaply) replaceable!

Also, as an aside, is it possible for me to contact Microsoft to get a Vista disc, since I have purchased it and I do have the authorization code?

Thanks a bunch!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
New drive would be worth to try.
As for Vista DVD, no. To have it, you have to pay for it.
Your other option is Recovery Partition, or Recovery DVD, but as you realize, using it will wipe out everything, and reinstall all crap, which came with your computer.
The third option....

Create Vista Recovery Disc.

Option 1:
http://www.c4consult...0SOLUCTIONS.htm

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/... to a CD or DVD

Little_Raven

Little_Raven

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Excellent, thank you VERY much! That's exactly what I've been wanting as an emergency option. I was worried that there was nothing I could do as a last resort, short of buying Vista even though I already own the cursed thing. I miss XP :)

I'm trying one other idea I had a little while ago, and am going to see how that pans out. If it doesn't work, then I guess the recovery disc would be my best option.

When I first purchased these computers, neither would boot up at all. A friend figured out that I had to switch the HDD cable to another port on the motherboard, and that fixed it. So I'm trying that again, moving it to yet a different port. So far so good, but I've been in this position before. Time will tell.

And if it does resume freezing again, I'll nuke the thing with a recovery disc! I won't lose much, since I haven't installed a lot. I've installed a couple games that have got me too hooked on them to do much of anything else.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate it!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)