Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot from ISO file with no Cd

• Please log in to reply

Jay Worner

Jay Worner

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi everyone, seems like I am a regular on the main malware forum, as I tend to upgrade often and had a few computers around the house that i wanted to network so
I got them all malware free here, I have an older TravelMate c100 laptop that I got from a friend a long time ago(tablet pc) that ORIGINIALLY came with an external harddrive.
I have none and really cant afford to buy one(i know they arent that much but things are tight) and I dont have any flash drives either. This computer is super powerful, but Id like to
turn the laptop into a firewall or something for my network, using a modem and a router but want to use it as a access point or something. I have SmoothWall express ISO file on CD
but I want to know if there is anyway I can boot from an ISO image without any media (disk or flash) Is there a way to save it somewhere on the hard drive and boot from it?
Id probably need some good instructions if it is possible. I can get it on the laptop through my network, but booting from it is the problem. Any suggestions?!?!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts

Is there a way to save it somewhere on the hard drive and boot from it?

As far as I know there is no way to do this as ISO simulation is software based instead of hardware based.
Is there a problem with burning the ISO to disk?

Regards,
Olrik

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
IF your computer can boot to USB you MIGHT be able to boot to a USB drive...of course you'd have to have a large enough boot drive to unpack the ISO to the drive..