Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Average temperatures for HDDs and quad core cpu ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
My new build system has been up and running now for over a week and so far, everything is running as it should be with no errors or bsods.

I have Q6600 that appears to be running at a temp of between 34c and 41c.
I have 4gb of GEIL black dragon 8500 ram without any aftermarket cooling.

My OS sata drive is always between 30c and 36c, and my other 2 x sata drives are always between 30c and 33c.
The 320gb OS drive is ALWAYS 2 - 3 degrees celsius higher than the other two 500gb drives.

Obviously these temps are affected by climatic conditions such as central heating etc, , but even with the house very hot and central heating on full, , these temps only increase by a further 1 degree or so.

Are these sort of temps acceptable or should i be looking at a better cooling solution.

The cpu has a ASUS V-60 cooler/fan,to go with the ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard.

The coolermaster case has 2 x 80mm front intake fans blowing on 2 of the 3 hdds, and one 80mm rear exhaust fan.

I also have installed a ZALMAN MFC2 digital temp/fan controller, , which i hope is accurate.

Look forward to a little clarity on average temperature values on this system.
Many thanks, kev

Edited by rxkevco, 21 November 2008 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
those temps look average....they're within operating specs for sure.....is that under load or no?

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
No, , not under load, just average, email and explorer open, antivirus etc.

I dont know what to use to try it under load, as i have been using this week to see if i have any other problems first.
I have only built the pc a week or so ago and as its my very first attempt at building my own machine i have left her on 24hrs a day since it was built just to make sure all is well.
I have sort of lost touch with what people use these days to test under full load.

Its primarily a DAW,(digital audio workstation) and will be most under load recording audio tracks , software sythesisers and a little bit of sampling.
I wont be using it for games, and havent even set up my studio software as yet (cubase 4 ).

What do you reccomend ? ?

FiReFTW

FiReFTW

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
ur temps are good , some people's cpu are at 50 or even 60 which is quite high , my cpu runs at about 32-34 idle