Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network issues - works for a while, then not

• Please log in to reply

whoit

whoit

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've got 3 PCs on a home network, and it's constantly going down.
(2 Dell Dimensions, 1 Emachine w/Netgear card. Linksys WRT54GS router, Linksys Cable modem, all hardwired)

It was working flawlessly for 3 years, and now it keeps giving me grief.
I can't say exactly what has changed lately, but I keep getting several problems
when I try to access the network from any of the three machines.

Typically, after I reboot all 3 machines, it works for a while.
Then, it will stop working.
For example, I sometimes I can see the remote machine, but when I try to copy/paste or drag/drop, it locks up, causing windows explorer to die and reset.
Other times it tells me I don't have permission to access the network (I am Admin on all 3 boxes, always have been).
Yet other times it tells me the network is not available.

Once this problem occurs, it 'spreads' to the other machines. They may work for one or two transfers, but then they too can't access the network.

I have to reboot all three machines to resolve this.

I have checked all three machines
- the NIC cards appear good
- the drivers are up to date
- 'simple file sharing' is off (always has been)
- all machines have windows firewall on
- all machines have Norton Antivirus 2009
- the router seems good.

I'm at my wits' end.

Please offer any help that you can as it only seems to go down when I need it most.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The fact this occurs on all three machines would suggest its an issue with the router. What do you mean when you say "the router seems good"? If it sits there twinkling its lights at you that's very pretty to look at but doesn't actually mean its working properly. It's a bit like human beings - just because they're looking at you doesn't mean they're paying attention :)

Edited by Neil Jones, 21 November 2008 - 05:56 PM.

whoit

whoit

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Whether it's the router or anything else, what I could use is a way to determine what the problem is.

Do you have any suggestions?

[edit] I swapped out the router with one I know works - the problems are the same.

Edited by whoit, 22 November 2008 - 10:39 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If the problem is replicated with new router then the only thing I can realistically suggest is something somewhere is generating interference that's causing this behaviour to make the computers drop out. Either that or there's something on the computer(s) that's causing it. This isn't normal behaviour. Have a look in the Event Viewers in XP when the network dies again for any clues (Event View is under Adminstrative Tools in the Control Panel).