Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open pdf files in 'sumatra' - they go to Abiword

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I've removed Adobe and installed Sumatra pdf reader which has been OK but recently when I try to open pdf files I get the Abiword (which I have ) error message - 'Error importing file......' etc.

Why Abiword tries to open pdf files (which is not one of its capabilities as far as I know) I can't imagine.

Previously pdfs have opened OK in Sumatra. Can anyone enlighten me please?
The help pages of both are not helpful for me sadly.

OS XP Home SP2

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on a PDF file and choose "open with" choose sumatra from the list (or browse to it's location if it's not listed) and check the "always use this program" checkbox...then press ok

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for that - that option I tried to find but cannot perhaps because the pdf file is in an email as an attachment. Right clicking on that just gives to option to Open which gets me to the message which says 'Unknown file type' and then to the Abiword error message.

In My Documents I found another pdf file and right clicking on that did give the option to open it with various options including sumatra. I did so hoping this would make it the default opener but going back to that pdf attachment resulted in the same problem.

I hope you have other ideas - I appreciate any you can come up with.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Oh! I found I could get that attachment into My Documnts then open it from there in Sumatra! Problem solved.

So it seems that pdfs in attachments are somehow different and why it tried to open in Abiword is a mystery to me - I wonder if I'll ever find out!

Thanks to you anyway as it prompted me to persevere.