Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

amd690gm-m2 + 4gb = fail

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
i tried to install 4 gb of ram on this thing (64 bit xp sp2) but its not liking it. yes the ram is compatible, the motherboard seems to be not liking me.
the computer will not boot (beeps every four sec) if im using all 4 but if i use 2 gb it works like a charm.

i have tried playing with the BIOS but im not that well informed so it was a FAIL.

ram: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146692
MOfO MOBO: http://www.pcstats.c...?articleID=2117

http://www.geekstogo...am-t216805.html

can someone help me?

Edited by 2212, 21 November 2008 - 02:21 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This board is an Award BIOS and Award BIOSes beep for one reason only - no graphics output available.

Your other post seems to suggest you either have an issue with this board or there's an issue with this memory. Or, more likely, there's an issue with this memory on this board. A lot of ECS boards tend to suddenly decide they don't like the same memory they were just talking to.

Also on NewEgg, many reviews for that memory would suggest it's either incompatible with a lot of boards, generally faulty overall or there's a really big batch of faulty sticks floating about.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
thanks for posting,

yes, no, maybe??? the ram, i dont think, is faulty or incompatible (ive tested one at a time in each slot)
the comp only beeps only if ram is in the second slot.
i tried the ram i was using before as well as the new ones (second slot)
the comp starts up but freezes on the amd screen when i tried 3 gb.

help please? is it a power problem? ram? mobo? user?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Think you've just answered your own question. Sounds like your second slot on your board is dead. Send it back if it's under warranty.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
is there a quik fix?
i dont has moonie and no worreinty

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
There is no fix. You'll just have to use the first slot only until you can replace the board. Be lucky the entire board hasn't packed up.