Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Connecting New Setup

• Please log in to reply

Ilpav

Ilpav

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, I bought new upgrades fir my PC.

I went from this:

Pentium 4 2.6 GHz

ASRock GE Pro-M2 Motherboard

Radeon 2600 Pro 512 MB AGP

Kingston 1.5 GB DDR333 PC2700 RAM

To this:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz LGA 775

ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

OCZ GameXstreme 600W Power Supply

I connected almost everything ok. I am having trouble connecting my HDD and CD and DVD drives to the motherboard.

My HDD came with my old PC and is a Western Digital Caviar 80GB (IDE, not SATA). The thing is, my motherboard has only only one IDE port and six SATA ports. My old motherboard had two IDE ports.

The PC started ok and I setup the BIOS, but Windows won't start.

I then connected the HDD as the master drive and the DVD drive as the slave drive (on the same 80-pin cable), and connected both to the motherboard's only IDE port.

I put the Windows XP installation CD into the DVD drive, and after starting the PC, the Windows setup started. After the setup was complete, I either got a message saying the HDD wasn't recognized, or the PC just restarted (depending on different setups I tried).

Please help me and read my post carefully, because I tried asking on other forums, but some of them don't read my posts in detail.

Thanks.

Edited by Ilpav, 21 November 2008 - 08:51 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
1) All modern day boards only come with one IDE port. Intel boards don't have any at all.
2) You need to do a Windows Repair. Under XP you can't just put a new board in, fire it up and expect it to work, it'll effectively tell you to go forth and multiply. An easier solution may be to simply spend a little more money on a new SATA hard drive that you can just plug in, stick Windows on and copy across what you want from the old drive as it sounds like either your Windows is damaged or that drive has issues.