Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

iexplorer error win 98

• Please log in to reply

prflaco

prflaco

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello to all new to this web site was recomended by a friend that told me this is the best web site he ever came accros my pc is giving me an error that say iexplorer error can anybody please help me this is what i get don't know if is ok for me to post this here but if this is not the right plase please let me know where i need to post it i will thank you very much for any help i can get

THANK YOU :)

IEXPLORE caused a general protection fault
in module GDI.EXE at 0001:00008c28.
Registers:
EAX=0000075e CS=042f EIP=00008c28 EFLGS=00000246
EBX=0064fb3a SS=b3e7 ESP=00007290 EBP=0000729a
ECX=000019be DS=059f ESI=00008592 FS=0000
EDX=0000eef9 ES=059f EDI=00000030 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
64 8b 45 06 87 84 9c 00 64 89 45 06 64 8b 45 04
Stack dump:
18a28bb9 85929606 72b6059f 042f895f 19be18a2 00000177 01777197 0000000a 0000eef9 73006c42 01a70028 19be18a2 00000038 0064ab98 00000000 00000000

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Welcome to G2G

The Graphical Device Interface handles all the functions needed to produce images on your screen, including keyboard and mouse functions, as well as print services. It can be affected by your video card driver so make sure that you visit the manufacturer's web site and make sure you have the latest drivers for your card.

System resources are areas of memory that are used by the input manager (USER.EXE) and the graphic display interface manager (GDI.EXE) for keeping track of all of the windows that are open in a session and for drawing objects on the screen.

Or you may not have enough Memory/RAM. How much memory do you have?

If you are using Win98/98SE, then do this tweak:
Right-click "My Computer" -> select Properties -> Performance -> Advanced Settings -> File System button -> Settings -> Typical role of this computer - Choose Network Server. Click APPLY and click OK.

This error is related to Microsoft Internet Explorer. In order to resolve this error, you will need to use the Internet Explorer repair tool:
1. Click Start.
2. Click Settings.
3. Click Control Panel.
4. Click Add/Remove Programs.
5. On the Install/Uninstall tab, click Microsoft Internet Explorer
6. Click Add/Remove.
7. Select Repair Internet Explorer.
8. Click OK.

Microsoft also have a hotfix however they do not support 98 anymore. You could try and see what happens.
Cheers
Peterm

prflaco

prflaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Not a comp Geek IM A COMP IDIOT LOL how would i know how much memory RAM my pc have :) . Every time i get an IEXPLORER error is different than the one i post it here but i'm going to do what you say here to see what happen i will let you know

THANK YOU

Edited by prflaco, 22 November 2008 - 01:39 PM.

prflaco

prflaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did all that you told me whent in myspace and after been there for a few minutes i get the iexplorer error again

prflaco

prflaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
my pc have 254.0 mg ram

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit?

Which version of internet explorer are you running? The last version that works on Win98 is version 6. If you're running version 5, that was known to have several bugs.

prflaco

prflaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
not a geek with pc how would i know wich version of internet is running on my pc?...i also have mozilla firefox and i get the same error in firefox to

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
If you click on Help on the menu bar, then "About", it will display its version. Another thought, the amount of RAM you report is 254MB? I'm have to assume that your system is using MB video and not a separate card. You could try entering CMOS and changing the amount of memory dedicated to your video system, (you should have 256MB, but if your system reports 254, then 2 MB is being dedicated for your video system). I'm not sure how you would get into CMOS, (could be delete key or F2 which you would press when the system 1st starts), but there should be a category where you can change the amount of memory dedicated to the video, Try to change it to at least 8MB. If you have the motherboard CD, there should be a manual on it that you can check.

If you're not too afraid to open the case and examine your memory chips and CPU heat sink, I would do that as well. A dust build up can occur depending upon the environment that your system lives in and sometimes the air currents deposit dust directly on one chip's surface. If the CPU heat sink, (the metal thingy under the fan on the motherboard), is also full of dust, it may not be shedding heat properly and could effect your system's performance.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
have you added any new software or hardware or upgrades before this started ?
cheers
peterm

prflaco

prflaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Mark D i will do what you ask me to do and i will let you know the results

thank you

Advertisements

prflaco

prflaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
To: Peterm

Ho i haven't done any change to the pc nothing at all i was just on myspace web site when the iexplorer error came up

thank you

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Lets see if there is an oold date of your registry before this started to happen.

1. Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu.
2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd\windows\command, and then press ENTER.
3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER. (Note the space between scanreg and the /)
4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.
Cheers
Peterm

prflaco

prflaco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
i did that but i still get the iexplorer error

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Lets try this then, Open internet explorer go to
Tools | Options | Advanced | uncheck "Enable third party browser extensions
Cheers
Peterm

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Just as a check, I went onto MS website for this error code and the moderator's suggestion was to "retire" the PC to the garage or some other cozy space. Windows98 is no longer supported and your best option maybe to change to Windows2000, (depends on your system strength)... sorry