Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TRANSFER FILES FROM OLD TO NEW NOTEBOOK COMPUTER

• Please log in to reply

susan spencer

susan spencer

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
How do I transfer all files from my current notebook to a new system so that old system can go to my neice? It is imperative that confidential files are cleaned off such as banking, taxes, etc. I am moderately saavy but need to know how to quickly accomplish this. If this is something better served by hiring a pro, please advise.

Edited by susan spencer, 21 November 2008 - 10:18 PM.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Copy all the files on to a blank cd/dvd or a usb flash drive to put on your new system.
I suggest you complete the copying to your new system before you proceed with erasing them from the old system
just in case you have to do it again should it fail the first time.

download 'Eraser' from http://www.heidi.ie/node/6

install Eraser on to the laptop whose confidential files you wish to erase permanently.

Set Eraser's 'on demand' component to overwrite those files 35 times.

Select those files with the mouse in Windows Explorer, right-click and choose "Erase" instead of delete.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 22 November 2008 - 05:16 AM.

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you for your reply. My computer is loaded with files on desktop, documents, music, etc. so I was thinking it would be too comprehensive of a task to do on CD. My flash drive holds too little. I had previously been told that people have networked two systems via their router to transfer files from one to the other or used an external hard drive which I could purchase if necessary. Either way, I need to do this today or tomorrow latest. Thank you for your help! Let me know what you would do.

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
An external hard drive is the simpler option as getting two PCs to 'see' each other can be a complicated process. Plus, you can continue to use the external drive as a backup device.
You are very lucky not to have had drive C: on the old computer fail on you, losing all your precious files. It does happen. Please get yourself an external drive and backup your stuff before it's too late!

As regards your files being scattered in various places on your existing PC, Windows XP creates a folder called 'My Documents' for the very purpose of keeping all your files together, thereby making them easier to find, easier to backup, and easier to transfer. Please bear this in mind in future!

Forgive me If I sound like a schoolteacher. I just want you to benefit from the lessons I've learned -- it's all happened to me in the past.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 22 November 2008 - 04:01 PM.

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thank you for your response! The C drive is fine but I appreciate your comments! Do you have a brand or comment on hard drive size I should purchase? I know I can transfer files but what about an antivirus program? Please let me know about the software I use for work that was previously downloaded on my system from the CD I don't have. How do I move this?

susan spencer

susan spencer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello! Two days later, could not network XP notebook to new Vista Notebook so bought external hard drive and did a back up. Also could not access internet.I plugged USB into Vista notebook and Vista does not recognize (.bkf) file, Windows Shell Commor. Asks to select how I want to open file? Change it to what? Any ideas?

I am hoping I can use external drive to store all files from XP notebook. Don't know what it will be like to have to select files from external drive, however. If this is possible will return Vista and try to locate a new XP. First need to know how to open external drive. Any help appreciated!