Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can't Log In On Used Computer

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

I have a used computer that I got at an auction. It has windows NT server on it, 2 hard drives, blah blah. I want NT server off, and windows 98 on(Have a 98 disc and key). Problem is I cant log in to the dang thing. Once I boot it up, it comes to the logon process where I can log on to a domain or not, so on and so forth. I dont have the username or password. I would like to log on to reformat the hard drives, partition, etc... Because I know windows 98 needs FAT and this is saying the HD's are NTFS. I've been searching through the AWARD bios to no avail. It's obvioulsy an older computer, so I'm not used to it at all.

I guess my question is:

Whats the best way for me to get NT off and 98 on.

Please help.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The easiest way is to use Win 98 rsecue floppy diskette. If you created one during previous win 98 installations and if you have a floppy disk drive on your computer you can use the floppy to run FDISK command to delete old partitions and create new ones and FORMAT command to format to FAT32. After that you can run win98 installation.

If you don't have the diskette or a floppy drive you can take the hard disk out, rig them as slaves an another computer and format them there. Move them back to your computer and run win98 installation.