Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive and DVD-ROM on same IDE channel

• Please log in to reply

mediccody

mediccody

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey there. Due to the fact that my recently purchased motherboard is geared towards SATA drives and only has one IDE channel, I'm being forced to put the (non-SATA) hard drive from my old system onto an IDE cable. However, my DVD-ROM is already on this cable.

I've heard of slowdowns on operations by the faster of the two components, but from what I understand this is an outdated problem. Will this in any way hinder data transfer speeds off of/on to the DVD-ROM or hard drive? However, do I need an 80-wire ribbon to run DVD-ROM and hard drive on the same ribbon? What jumper settings and ribbon position do I put the drives on?

Thanks

Advertisements

mediccody

mediccody

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Extensive Googling has informed me that this should not really affect transfer speeds unless I am burning a CD with data from the hard drive on the same IDE channel or transferring data from a CD to the drive. I'm probably going to set the DVD-ROM drive as master.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

If this is your only or primary hard drive (i.e the one with windows on it), then you should set the HDD as the master & the optical as the slave.

You need to use an 80 wire cable as the hard drive with require it. The optical doesn't need an 80 wire cable but will work fine with one.