Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vertexbuffer lock failed error ? ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
I have just ran 3DMARK 06 as my new pc hasnt been tested under load as yet, and i thought i would give it a try.

When its running, it gets through the "return from proxycon" part of the test fine, then it starts the next part (little lights moving thru a forrest).
After about 5 seconds of this 2nd test, 3dmark 06 stops and an error comes up. The precise error is, , , ,

Idirect3D vertexbuffer9: : lockfailed:n/2(unknown)

The first time i ran 3dmark06 and this error appeared, i just closed it down and rebooted. After a while, i went back and ran the test again.
It stopped in exactly the same place as previously and i got the same vertexbuffer/lockfailed error message. Only this time, , i started getting hundreds of little dots all over the screen, after a few seconds, there was hundreds more.
I quickly closed down 3dmark06 but even after it closed, the little dots were still getting worse.
I ended up cutting the power to the pc straight away as i was getting very concerned.
What is going on ? Any ideas ? ?

I have Q6600,, 4GB PC2 8500 GEIL RAM, and a BFG OC Geforce 8800gts.

On my older system with only 2gb ram and a D 945 3.4ghz cpu and the same graphics card, i never had this problem with 3dmark at all, , it always ran thru to the end.
I expected with twice as much ram, x64vista and a Q6600 that i would get an even better score than my old system.
I know its not a gamers machine (and its not ), and i wasnt running it for the score, , i was only running it to see what my temps and system stability were like under some form of load as it hasnt ran under any load since i built it.

Would really appreciate some advice please, , never come across this sort of error before.
PS: I only built the pc 10 days ago and because its x64 bit vista, i ensured that i had all the latest drivers for x64 bit operation.
As far as i know, i have all the latest drivers for my system, , although i am open to suggestions !

Many thanks, kev

Advertisements