Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WMP 11 says to connect a burner then restart pc

• Please log in to reply

Sunshine56

Sunshine56

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello, :)

I need help in locating a cd burner for my pc. I had wmp 10 and it says I need to connect a burner and then restart computer. So, I upgraded to a wmp 11 and it is telling me the same thing.
I have went to device manager and it shows that I have the best driver for my cd rom. Altho,,,,,it has a yellow exclamation mark on the cd rom drive.
I have a CD-Writer/DVD-ROM Combo and when I put in any cd to open it up it wont open up anything. I have worked all day on this and have not a clue what I can do to bring this burner back. It was working as long as I was using the wmp 9.
I need help so I can burn again.
Thanks

Sunshine56

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A CD Burner is a physical drive.
Anyway Media Player isn't the only option to make CDs, plenty of alternative software available.

Remedies include starting the IMAPI Burning service, deleting the drive from Device Manager and restarting, or this can be caused by a conflict with other programming on the computer.

Sunshine56

Sunshine56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello Neil,

Im sorry, but I dont have a clue about an IMAPI burning service or where to go to get it or how to do it.

Im pretty good about following simple instructions, but I dont know about deleting the drive in Bevice Manager.
Will it be the one that has the exclamation mark next to it??

Excuse me for not knowing what Im doing on here. Please explain it to me. It would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks

Sunshine56 :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Right-click on the device (with the exclamation marK) in Device Manager and select Uninstall. When you restart the computer it'll come back again, "Found New Hardware". With any luck that'll solve the problem.

Sunshine56

Sunshine56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Neil,

Im sorry, but I did what you said to do about uninstalling in the device manager. Unfortunately it didnt work.
It still shows to connect a player and then restart.

The CD Rom Im using is not opening up any kind of cd. The tray will open but it will not open up on the screen.

I cant figure out how to open the pc case or I would check the Rom to make sure its connected like it should be. Im about to give up on this thing.

please offer another solution if you have one.

Thanks so much.

sunshine56

VanVikki09

VanVikki09

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi , My name is VanVikki09
I have the same problem. When I open up my Windows Media Player, it says " Connect to a burner and restart player" what does that mean?
I can't redownload WMPlayer 11 because I have a new version of it already. Also, can't install a old version of WMPlayer because my computer is Windows Vista x64 bit..How did the burner get locked ? or how can you unluck it? Please help me.