Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless trouble

• Please log in to reply

bradlja

bradlja

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hello never done this before. blah blha. In anycase I've got an older laptop(500mhz amd) that runs win 98se and i just bought a netgear ma111 usb adapter i think runs max at 11 mb/s or somthing. so heres the riddle: I can go most everywhere and I can "see" signals in the netgear site survey but thing, the hair pulling thing is I can usualy get no websufing from said signals. at first i thought that this might be due to the fact that the signals were encripted or somthing but I tried it recently at a public libary and that was an open/free wifi. so its all quite confusing. also went to one coffe shop and it worked and then back to libary and nothing. any sort of help/clues/ advice would be magic. thanks in advance,
jr

Advertisements

Technogeek8

Technogeek8

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Yeah

98 blows with wireless. It didn't know about it when released. If you upgrade to Xp, you'll be a lot better. The reason being is that xp is formillar with wireless connections and has the built in tools to manage it. Upgrade

David

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
I have Xp pro in my laptop and can't access half of signals. Make sure: A. It has to security types listed. B. The signal is at least 40%. I have the G version of your card, and use the software on Negear software on 98 too. However, if your going to still want to use the Netgear app, (i do :tazz: ) then there is no point in upgrading. But XP does have a nifty little application built right in, probably what technogeek is refering to. Hope this little info helps!

Edit: I found out that some networks will strangely only allow certain OSes to access it. This is very rare and hard to configure with wireless networks, but it helps keep the computers the same. Also, some networks say they don't have security in the Netgear app, but they only allow computers in that workgroup to get in. These don't sound like something a public linary would do, but maybe some networks you try to access.

Edited by jake6535, 04 May 2005 - 07:23 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
never been too fond of usb wireless adapters.....

And netgear has driver issues....usually they have multiple drivers available for the same card, meaning versions...original, newer, newest, beta.....

I have a netgear card and the second release works great, the following two, terrible....so try the other drivers

bradlja

bradlja

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanks all. I'll try looking around for an updated driver and if that bares no results I'll bite the bullet and take a timid step into the new century...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
also look for an OLDER driver...try them all