Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DiscScan Hangs

• Please log in to reply

briz_dad

briz_dad

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
I just bought a refurbished Gatyeway: Quad core 3Gb Ram

Everything seems fine except when I do a discscan it hangs on 45% on the last run (5 of 5) on the C drive...

Is there something I can do? Or does it mean I should probably get a new drive before this one "craps out"... Or is it a known issue with Vista?

TIA,
Greg

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
It could be the hard disk that's failing but you can download and run a diagnostic tool from the disk manufacturer's website to confirm this.

If you know the brand of the hard disk (eg Seagate/Maxtor (Maxtor belongs to Seagate now), Western Digital, Samsung etc.) go to their website to get the diagnostic tool creator for either floppy or cd-rom. Boot your PC from the floppy or cd you just created. It will start in it's own operating system (usually a version of DOS) and present you with a menu for various options including the diagnostic test.

briz_dad

briz_dad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Thank you - I ran it and it says the disc checks out... so maybe it is something wrong with the Vista discscan:

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD4000AAJS-22TKA0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCAPW3735121
Firmware Number: 12.01C01
Capacity: 400.09 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 17:44:11, November 23, 2008

at least my mind is at ease regarding a disc failure.

Edited by briz_dad, 23 November 2008 - 07:49 PM.