Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDTV antenna

• Please log in to reply

psychocheesemaster

psychocheesemaster

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I was not sure where to put this, but if anyone knows......

I am getting a Samsung T240HD, and it has a built in HDTV tuner. However, I do not have an HDTV antenna. My house is cable ready ( has cable run throughout the house), but I use standard AT&T Dish Network (with no HD).

Since the house is cable ready, should I be able to pick up local HD channels by just plugging into the wall cable co-ax wire similarly to plugging in an analog TV and getting local stations, or would I actually need to get an antenna to grab HD broadcast stations?

If I do need to get the external antenna, do I need to worry about antennas that only display a picture in a 4:3 resolution, or do all display in a 16:9, or widescreen format?

I would appreciate a quick response to this thread as I am picking up the T240HD tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT WOOT WOOT (AM SOO EXCITED) :) :wave: :)

Cheese

Edited by psychocheesemaster, 23 November 2008 - 02:14 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Only will you need a special converter box for over-the-air broadcasts to get TV stations after February 17, 2009. This means broadcasts using an outside antenna. All cable networks will be digital and you should have no problems provided you connect to the digital RF input of your set.

See "The Transition to Digital TV"

psychocheesemaster

psychocheesemaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Even if I don't pay for cable service I can get HD signal from it?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
AT&T Dish Network will have to start delivering digital TV signals or lose customers because after Feb. 17th, ALL TV stations will be broadcasting using digital. You can change to your local cable service provider and they will be all digital on the same date if not already. Broadband (cable) is providing pretty much everything (TV/Internet/Phone) in many areas now. You can buy a bundled package if you want.