Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

still having "Blue Screen" problems?, all logs are clean!

• Please log in to reply

BERKLEY

BERKLEY

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
still having "Blue Screen" problems? all logs are clean

it's been a few (5) days

thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system failures.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...unplug case from the wall...open it up and clean out all the dust bunnies...be sure to clean the cpu heatsink fins up real good.....guide is here..

then lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest +
here....
the lowdown is here..

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A:

first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go

here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso

burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have

to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other

tests

go here and get everest home...install and

launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and

voltages...

BERKLEY

BERKLEY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
"pass complete no errors" after running memtest for 8 hr.

i have the other report but have been unable to post it???

Attached Files

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
launch everest...click on the + beside computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot by pressing the CTRL key and the PRT SCR key at the same time...
go to start...all programs...accessories...paint...after you open paint ...left click in the white area and
then press CTRL + V ... then save it to your desktop as a .jpg and name it something like temps...
NOTE
if you don't save it as a .jpg it may be to large a file to upload

BERKLEY

BERKLEY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
thanks-----looks hot????
what ya think--clean??

Attached Thumbnails

• temp.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thats only reporting on your hard drive...and its ok...
not sure if this will do any better but go here and get speedfan...
SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips....your mobo may not have any ...but if speedfan does have more than the HD temps post a screenshot of it...
also use everest but this time get a screenshot of your mobo and post it

Edited by happyrock, 25 November 2008 - 08:00 AM.

BERKLEY

BERKLEY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
i'm getting confused??

Attached Thumbnails

• fan.mobo..JPG
  • speedfan.JPG

BERKLEY

BERKLEY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
getting confused this was the complete report in speed fan readings:

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked nVidia MCP51 SMBUS at $1C00
Linked nVidia MCP51 SMBUS at $1C40
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
SuperIO Chip=SCH5514
Scanning nForce2 SMBus at $1C00...
Scanning nForce2 SMBus at $1C40...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found ST3320633AS (320.1GB)
End of detection
Loaded 0 events

Attached Thumbnails

• fan.mobo..JPG
  • speedfan.JPG

Edited by BERKLEY, 25 November 2008 - 05:49 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we shouldn't both be confused ....so that means you have to maintain... :)
BTW..what you did was exactly what I asked... :) ....but unfortunately dell decided it was to expensive to hook up or install the chips needed to report on your temps or voltage...
can you tell us what the blue screen errors are...
does it happen after or while running a particular program....
look in the event viewer for any red errors ...check system and applications

How to View Event Details
To view the details of an event, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, then click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. Or, open the MMC containing the Event Viewer snap-in.
2. In the console tree, expand Event Viewer, and then click the log that contains the event that you want to view.
3. In the details pane, double-click the event that you want to view.

The Event Properties dialog box containing header information and a description of the event is displayed.

To copy the details of the event, click the Copy button, then open a new document in the program in which you want to paste the event (for example, Microsoft Word), and then click Paste on the Edit menu.

To view the description of the previous or next event, click the UP ARROW or DOWN

the log will go back a long time...look for recurring problems and either copy just 1 or 2 and post them back here or if there are a bunch close together get a screenshot and post it

Edited by happyrock, 27 November 2008 - 06:30 AM.

BERKLEY

BERKLEY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
going out of town for holiday...be back soon,,,,please be patient....
thanks

Advertisements

BERKLEY

BERKLEY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
happyrock:

i'm more than a little embarrassed on responding....i fu big time!!! i got the blue screen agin, and went to dell site to upgrade my BIOS [as suggested on the blue screen} yep - only get the yellow light on the pc now - won't post anything---fried mb---so now i'm facing a tought decission----replace mb from dell ($300) or have "General Nano" [nanosys1.com] local pc company build me a new one, using my dh, dvd,floppy drives....

any suggestions or comments [hey look at it this way - i solved my blue screen problem!!!}

signed,
1 dum mf!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what happened when you tried to flash your bios...
you may be able to remove the mobo battery and use the jumper to rest the bios to defaults...some mobo's don't have the jumper in which case removing the battery for 10 minutes will reset the bios...

BERKLEY

BERKLEY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
don't know how to use the jumper to flash the bios..??? I did remove the btry , waited for 30 min then, started the PC...no change just the yellow light without boot??? how can i jump to reset bios??

thanks-

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first tell what happened when you tried flashing the bios...
what is the make and model of the mobo...

Edited by happyrock, 01 December 2008 - 07:53 AM.

BERKLEY

BERKLEY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Dell Dimemsion model C521;mb item 222-5773 DIM C521,A64 x22.3800+ (2.00GHZ) probably had:Dell Dimension System BIOS, 1.1.4
Release Date: 1/1/2007
Criticality: Optional
Description: Dimension C521 1.1.4 System BIOS {purchased 1/31/07}

went to dell site, entered model # etc, suggested to down load BIOS version 1.1.11; downloaded; not big warnings/cautions/etc....waited a while (hour glass changed back to pointed}; shut down pc

next time i turned it on - nothing but the yellow lite on on/off buttom - no response to keys/mouse/monitor

dell wants $296.99 for new mb - i can get 1 built for less than that! {using my HD; DVD; etc!!! - local co}
thanks for your time/help---

bf