Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems After Uninstalling SP3

• Please log in to reply

slowpez81

slowpez81

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Since SP3 was installed on my computer, it caused the media center to not work properly. It wasn't a big deal because I don't use it too much, but I currently need to access it. I had a chat with a microsoft "expert" and uninstalled SP3, but it still didn't resolve my issue. He then sent me a series of steps to do a restore of the os, which i did, now I can only boot up in safe mode. Has anyone had this same issue or maybe an idea on how to fix the problem?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try restoring back prior to SP3...or even farther back...

slowpez81

slowpez81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I actually talked with another microsoft service tech and he basically told me that the series of steps that the first technician told me to go through was wrong and it created more problems than it fixed. So after almost two hours on the phone with the second person, he said that there wasn't much he could do to help me restore it to a point before the uninstall because of the issues that the first tech caused. He apologized profusely and I hed to re-install the operating system. Everything obviously works fine now, except I lost my driver backup disk and I'm stuck searching around the net trying to find them all which is actually harder than I thought it would be. That's life I guess

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to your computer manufactures website and put in your make and model number...
they will have all your drivers there

slowpez81

slowpez81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have everything sorted out now, but thanks for the info. I did go to the manufacturers website, but they were useless (eMachines).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)

did you try here...
for the future
this site here ...DriverMax can scan your system to see what , if any , drivers you need...its free...

or try ...DriverGuide...here...
you will have to register..
# Provides an easy step-by-step process for finding and installing drivers.
# Offers a huge searchable archive of hundreds of thousands of driver/firmware files, manufacturer information, and links.
# Includes discussion boards that give members the opportunity to interact with others with their hardware type, and learn from their experiences (very useful!).
# Offers a drivers found area where members can upload new and hard to find drivers for others to download.
# Provides a driver request board where members can make requests for specific drivers.
# Includes resources for Windows, Mac, Unix/Linux, and other platforms.
# Provides links to helpful tutorials, valuable utilities, and other resources.
# Offers a great collection of old, out of date, and hard to find drivers.
Membership gives you access to more downloads, more features, and is absolutely FREE! Members are given lifetime access to this site.

Edited by happyrock, 30 November 2008 - 06:30 AM.

slowpez81

slowpez81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the sites. I downloaded DriverMax just to update some of my drivers...kinda wish I had that earlier in the week. lol.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
normally ..getting drivers from your computer manufacture site is not a problem...
but I just a few days back had a 4 hour exercise in futility trying to get drivers for a panasonic toughbook...
they are a real PITA to work on...so I understand your pain... :)

slowpez81

slowpez81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
A definite pain it was, but honestly I don't expect much from eMachines even though they are a subsidiary of Gateway. I got this computer as a gift, so I guess I can't really complain too much. It would just be nice if their tech support was a little better and more consumer friendly. I've been insulted on more than one occasion and put on hold too many times to even bother with them anymore. It's as if that company doesn't even want customers anymore. lol Maybe i'll build my next computer.