Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Searching within my computer after installing SP3

• Please log in to reply

mewsician

mewsician

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I installed SP3 a couple of weeks ago. I did it only after thoroughly reading Microsoft's explanation of SP3. I was interested in the search capability it supposedly offers, since I have been continually disgruntled by not being able to find files ON MY OWN COMPUTER. The pre-SP3 search (within my own computer) does not find my own files. Today I went to look at the instructions for searching with SP3 and found that SP3's search allows me to search on my desktop or on the web. Am I missing something, or is there really nothing new in SP3 to help me search for my own files on my own computer?

(How disgruntled am I? Seriously considering pitching this piece of crap Microsoft computer and buying a MAC. Windows 3.1 searched better than Windows XP.)

I digressed. . . considering what I have generally read on the internet about uninstalling SP3, I am reluctant to uninstall it. Any advice? I am an intermediate user, not nearly as familiar with Windows XP as I was with Windows 98.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't think there is any difference in the search function of SP-3 compared to SP-2.

What type of files are you trying to search unsuccessfully? It might be that you have to enable "show hidden files" options.

mewsician

mewsician

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
"Type of file" is part of the problem, I think. I'm a writer, and I not only save the stuff I write, I collect reference material (i.e., I make lots of files) for later use. I am generally searching for a word in a file, often with the page that I know is in my computer in my hand. I'm simply trying to access my own stuff, see. Way too often, the search will not find my document. Windows 98 had an excellent search function, but it has deteriorated almost into oblivion since then. I have actually started keeping paper files on some things, because when I finally run across a file I've been looking for, I have to print it to be able to access it again. So I make a paper file. Yes, computers were supposed to help us stop doing this!

When I change the search criteria from "file" to "document," sometimes it helps, but generally it doesn't. I actually had a Microsoft technician reply to a support request I made on what is the difference between "file" and "document" when you search, and he said he didn't know what I was talking about!!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I am not sure I understand the problem but the bottom line is that you are not happy with Microsoft's search tool. Please have a look at this link. I have never tried Copernic but I heard it's a very good search tool. Maybe your solution is there.

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
this is also a good search tool-perhaps the best i've tried

SearchEverything is extremely fast and uses a style of indexing that takes seconds.

http://www.voidtools.com/