Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Boot XP & XP Both with Drive Letter C:\[RESOLVED]

• Please log in to reply

kasperbs

kasperbs

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
OK this request might be a little unusual, but here goes.
I'm interested in running two Windows XP on the same disk on separate partitions and have them both boot as C:\.

I have made two partitions on my hard drive with the intention of running a version of Windows XP on both of them. One for Work related tasks, and one for my personal life/family use. So far I have managed to do it, but with the problem that the boot partition is assigned different letters. When I boot the 'Privateř, it boots as C:\ and assign the drive letter E:\ to the passive 'Work' Partition. When I boot the 'Work' partition it is still assigned the letter E:\ and the now passive 'Private' partition is still C:\. I would like the active boot partition to be assigned the drive letter C:\ every time it boots.

I have tried all sorts of things, I have tried to install the C:\ then make an image and clone that to the 'Work' partition but it is still assigned the letter E:\, and when I boot it doesn't really work.

I hope this is clear and would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Edited by kasperbs, 30 November 2008 - 06:27 PM.

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I don't think what you want is possible. Once drive letters have been assigned to the partitions which contain an operating system they cannot be changed. Windows cannot keep 'swapping' the drive letters over like that. It would lead to confusuion and all manner of problems. Whichever partition you boot from, the drive letters initially assigned must remain unchanged.

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 24 November 2008 - 02:49 AM.

kasperbs

kasperbs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I finally found out how to do this, by using a bootmanager such as GAG or Bootmagic, you are able to hide partitions from Windows and let it assign the right drive letter.
Follow this tutorial, describes everything about it.

grenet

grenet

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

I don't think what you want is possible. Once drive letters have been assigned to the partitions which contain an operating system they cannot be changed. Windows cannot keep 'swapping' the drive letters over like that. It would lead to confusuion and all manner of problems. Whichever partition you boot from, the drive letters initially assigned must remain unchanged.

Would it make a difference if the two boot partitions were on separate hard disk drives? Couldn't each one be installed as C in that case? I mean if I have one hard drive with XP installed and I added a new hard drive to the system - couldn't I install XP to partition C on the new hard drive? Then let it reassign a drive letter to the passive (non-boot) hard drive (which I could change if I wanted)?

Thanks,
Anna