Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my FLASHDRIVE Faulty?

• Please log in to reply

gb440

gb440

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, i recently bought a 16Gb flashdrive from Ebay (USA). It was from a reputable seller- all good feedback and lifetime warranty etc. This is what happened: I started copying some movie files (WMV and MPEG) about 300Mb. Th efirst few files played ok straight from the flashdrive. Then i started copying a few more. All was well until Windows told me one file could not be copied. Then everything started hanging up (not responding). I tried erasing everything by formatting the drive and Windows seemed to be formatting it right until the end where it said "This Drive could not be formatted" Now when i click on PROPERTIES for the flash drive it comes up as 0Kb memory and is not recognised by the USB ports. Windows tells me the drive is not formatted and asks me if i want to format it, but it cannot complete the format. Is this a faulty drive and is it possible to damage the drive just by copying a file? Also, is it ok to format these drives? I have another FD, a 1Gb and it works fine in both USB ports. Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Use the drive on another computer. If it still fails, the drive is possibly faulty.