Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Low disk space - have tried lots of things!

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hi there,

I keep getting a low disk space warning on my PC. I have defragmented, used EasyCleaner (as recommended somewhere on here), deleted programmes, moved music files and photo files from my C drive to my E drive (which is my extra hard drive and has 91% free space).

My C drive only has 9% free apparently, no matter what I do.

Using EasyCleaner it told me I had hundreds of duplicate files. However when I tried to delete them it wouldn't let me, and there was also a warning from EasyCleaner saying that you need to know which ones are important and which ones you can delete. I don't have a clue how to differentiate between them.

I also searched on here and someone else was told to use Scandisc. I followed the instructions there also but Scandisk was nowhere to be seen.

I am getting desperate as I work from home and need my PC to work efficiently.

I would be eternally grateful for any ideas.

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Scandisk is actually called the "Error Checker" in XP, and it finds and fixes errors such as mis-reporting of free space.
Open 'My Computer', right-click C: drive icon and select 'Properties'.
Click the 'Tools' tab, then the 'Check Now' button.
Tick both options then click 'Start'.

Answer 'Yes' to allow it run next time you restart, because it can't run when Windows is running.