Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware Terminator screwed up my system!

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hey everyone, long time no see! I in need of some major help since I'm new to the Vista terrain!!!!

For the longest time I've be happy with JUST Avast. I've never needed anything else. Some of my customers really truely do, so I get Spyware Terminator and put it on my system to try it out.

Alright, yesterday I get about 20 messages about SVCHOST.exe trying to do something with either Services or Winsock. Okay? So I allow about 10 of them (I tell it don't remember answer) and then the next 10 I decide to deny (told it don't remember answer). I figure it wouldn't hurt anything, after all I really didn't do anything to initiate this SVCHOST invasion right?

WRONG!! Now a bunch of my services refuse to start...including Event Viewer. So I can't check to see what is going on!!!

I ran LSPfix and just clicked finish...it renumbered the Winsock layer. Seems to have fixed Event Viewer from some strange reason.

However, the following items still don't work. There may be more, but these are the most obvious:

Wireless
Bluecoat K9 Webfilter
Avast Anti-virus
Internet (not even when plugged in through Ethernet)

Things I've tried:

System Restore (failed)
WinsockFix (gave error messages)
LSPFix (renumbered the Winsock layer, #1 was missing out of 26)
Advanced Windows Care
Limiting Startup Items

I KNOW it is not an infection, but for the sake of helping troubleshoot the issue, I've uploaded a Hijackthis log:

Attached File  hijackthis.zip   3KB   240 downloads

If it wasn't Vista, I probably would have fixed it by now, but Vista is a new territory for me!! Can anyone assist?

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Holy snikies batman!

Suddenly I'm in love with Vista...I noticed my wireless came on after my last reboot...but still no internet. I clicked on the "Diagnose Network Problem" or whatever it was under IE7. It found that a Winsock Layer was missing and fixed it.

I GOT INTERNET BACK!!!

Also, Avast started working again...Event Viewer revealed that "Avast doesn't support your Socket type". So now that the Winsock is repaired...it works.

Bluecoat K9 Webfilter started working...probably was Winsock related too.

Things are looking good again. If only I waited just a little longer before posting... :) Hey, I was getting frantic!! This is my new "baby" computer. :)

I do have a question though...why didn't WinsockFix work? Shouldn't it have repaired it?

http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml

It says all Windows versions...