Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista x64 has suddenly got soooo slow, , 2 weeks old ?

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's what I was after. It looks like you downloaded the Pro trial, instead of the free version. I've never downloaded the Pro before, and you're right, look at all those extra tabs! :)

Unfortunately for our problem, those results look very healthy, so we haven't found the culprit yet.

Have you removed the overclocking for now?

I'll keep thinking about this, and get back if I think of anything else.

Troy

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Ok, , i will still be waiting here.

Tell you what though troy, , am getting more and more tempted to just go ahead and do another fresh install , , or a repair if its worth doing one ? ?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Just for kicks, I thought I'd run my own HD Tune again.

I don't think my results have ever been this good - my computer is performing pretty much the same as it always has (nice and instant).

Compare the results and see what you think. After having a look myself, I don't think you're getting the best performance out of your drive. My average is higher than your maximum. Are there any jumpers on the drive itself?

HDTune_Benchmark_ST3250410AS.png

If you're comfortable with it, I'd go with the full reinstall again (not the repair). I'm sure there are other solutions to check, but I can't think of them right now.

Just make sure you have proper backups of all your important data!

Troy

Edited by Troy, 05 December 2008 - 02:43 PM.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Am gonna run that scan again, only this time on my 2 brand new 500gb drives and see how they compare.
Must say although i dont really understand the burst rate and access times etc, it certainly looks as if your drive is in better shape than mine, , mind you, yours is running a bit on the hot side isnt it ? ? Mine all average at about 30c to 33c, unless i have the heating on (which i have now ) in which case they all go up by about 3 degrees celcius.

Am tempted to do a fresh install, , but jeeeeeezzzz, am not looking forward to it at all. I only did the install about a month ago now as it was a fresh install and all brand new components for the build , , cant believe i am thinking about doing it all again after such a short time.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes 40C is a bit on the warm side, but it's still fine. I'll turn my fan up a little. :) (I just like it quiet)

Have you tried uninstalling the hard drive and rebooting? Your computer will boot fine and then run the "Found New Hardware Wizard" again.

Access the Device Manager, select your OS drive from the Disk Drives list, right-click and select uninstall. Reboot.

I'm interested in the other hard drive results.

Troy

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Am just scanning the first 500gb drive now, , this one is the empty drive that i will be using for my audio file back ups etc from my recording studio software. The 2nd 500gb drive already has about 70gb of music on it along with dvd and video files etc but is still near enough empty really.
Will post the 2 screen saves up when both scans have finished.

I havent tried uninstalling the drive, , isnt that a bit dodgy ? ? ?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No not dodgy at all, it just basically "resets" the hard drive's connection, is all.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Will give that a try as well then after i have finished and posted these 2 other scans on the 500gb drives !

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No problems, I'm waiting for them. :)

I'm still comparing the two, quite interesting the differences between them. My system is well over a year old now. I've hardly had to do anything to it, it's been so good. Maybe I'm just good, or I just got lucky. :)

Troy

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also another thought, in your original post you've written that "a few days ago it suddenly slowed down". Sounds quite dramatic, really.

What happened around that time? Any significant events? New hardware installed? Programs added or removed? A thunder storm in your area, or power blackout or ???

Any messages in the System Event Viewer?

Troy

Advertisements

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Heres the results of the other two drive scans, , , the first screenshot is the drive with about 100gb of music and video files on it, , the second screenshot is the completly empty drive.
Compared to the first two, new drives, , the OS drive doesnt look like its performing that well, , or is it the other way round ? ? ?

Both drives are brand new and where only bought a month ago when i built the system.

Attached Thumbnails

• HDTune_Benchmark_Hitachi_HDP725050GLA____empty_500gb_drive.png
  • HDTune_Benchmark_Hitachi_HDP725050GLA___500gb_music_drive.png
  • HDTune_Benchmark_Hitachi_HDT725032VLA__320gb_OOS_drive.png

Edited by rxkevco, 05 December 2008 - 03:18 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
They're both reasonably similar to each other, and the OS result you've already posted. I don't think you're getting the best out of them, although it may be that's good performance for Hitachi drives, I don't know. My drives are Seagate.

My son's just woken up, so I'm gonna be having some breakfast time messy fun. :)

Let me know what you are considering next, I'll check back later.

Troy