Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with new power supply.

• Please log in to reply

Kriegster

Kriegster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
yesterday i bought a new power supply from fry's upgrading from my old 300w to a new 500w

http://shop4.frys.co...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

and my computer ran perfectly. this morning i tried starting my computer but it wouldnt turn on. my computer would come on for about half a second, the fans blowing, then it would turn off. and it would keep trying to boot over and over again until i unpluged it. i waited about 5 minutes then i tried it again and it started but after i shut off the computer, it would not start anymore until i replaced the psu with my old one again. I have a dell 530.

Edited by Kriegster, 25 November 2008 - 03:11 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well you could check the outlet for one.... Also check the power button.... But also if it continues you may have an intermitten short somewhere..... Maybe check that there are no loose wires or loose screws floating around the case...

illogical

illogical

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Try removing the PWR connector from the "front panel header" on your motherboard, then try starting the PC by shorting together the 2 pins where the PWR connector was, if it then starts without hesitation the problem is likely the actual switch on the case, possibly a little contact cleaner will solve the problem in this case. :)

Edited by illogical, 25 November 2008 - 02:05 PM.

Kriegster

Kriegster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Nope it isnt the switch at all :) i just switched out psus back to my old one and now it works fine.

i wish i didnt buy the refurbished one that they had for 5 bucks cheaper.

Edited by Kriegster, 25 November 2008 - 03:12 PM.