Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System Start-up Menu

• Please log in to reply

Chemico

Chemico

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After a recent problem, my normal OS (Windows XP, SP3) became corrupt and wouldn't boot up. I re-installed a copy of Windows XP to D:\ and when up and running again, proceeded to back-up all my important docs etc and then formatted and re-install Windows XP on C:\.

Once the C:\ was back and running well - maybe incorrectly - I re-formatted D:\ to remove the other Windows OS (using partition magic) and it looks clean, but on start-up, I continue to see the OS choice menu asking me to select from the two OS's.

Selecting the old version on D:\ states that the files are missing (as I deleted them) and that I should re-install windows if I want to use this.

My question is how to avoid seeing the choice of OS to use during Windows start-up. I have only one valid OS installed on C:\ and it's a bit of a hassle to see this menu each time the PC starts up

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi Chemico,
Please boot to the proper partition with your operating system. Once your desktop profile loads, go to START>RUN and type in MSCONFIG. You will receive a dialog box that says System Configuration Utility. Click on the tab that says BOOT.INI. Next, click the button that says CHECK ALL BOOTPATHS. You may receive another dialog box stating an issue to the boot path of another operating system installation. Confirm the change, and restart your computer. You should now be able to automatically boot into your Operating System without having to choose an OS installation. Hope this helps!

Chemico

Chemico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
3quilibrium,

Thanks you for your very quick and excellent reply. By following your instructions everything is working perfectly - something that would have taken me days to done myself.

Thanks a lot!

The only other gliche from the re-install is an issue with the Wireless Zero Connection. I have followed the instructions on the Microsoft Support article 871122, but I don't see the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.

Are you able to help with this too?

Thanks again
Chemico

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Chemico,
Could you describe how you connect to the internet and include all components such as a modem, router, etc. Also is this a laptop or PC? Have you installed the right drivers for your wireless device?

Chemico

Chemico

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The connection is via a modem and wireless link. After the re-install of Windows XP, I loaded my ISP software (Neuf telecom - (French) as I'm based in France) whch then configured the wireless connection through the USB wireless adapter. The connection works OK but would prefer to have Windows configure the wireless connection - the main PC (with the problem) is a desktop and I want to connect my work portable as well.

Before the re-install the connection was called [N9UF_T9LECOM] - and now is connected to [9T_5C6E4]. My work laptop finds the new network but has limited connectivity.

In an ideal world I would like both desktop and laptop to connect (via Windows) to the [N9UF_T9LECOM] network, so I can work from home if necessary.

I have followed the instructions on the Microsoft Support article 871122, but I don't see the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings check box.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Chemico