Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway M-6843 screen black when turned on

• Please log in to reply

moussaka

moussaka

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
It is only about 4 months old and is not mine.

first time booting got to windows load screen then BSOD with:

Machine_Check_Exception
***STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000001, 0x854AF685, 0xF2000000, 0x00000175)

also said some stuff about trying to disable BIOS shadowing or caching. Looked for that and couldnt find it.

Tried to start into safemode and it did the same thing.

Now when it is turned on, the screen is just black, but i hear fans and stuff going. Tried connecting to external monitor, but it is just black as well.

Any ideas? She said they (bestbuy im assuming) wanted $300 just to look at it and if it is an OS problem it would not be covered under warranty...

Edit: running Vista

Edited by moussaka, 25 November 2008 - 05:37 PM.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well if it is 4 months old then it should be under warranty... most computers come with at least a year when new. If you can't get a picture at all ( even bios ) then that would indicate a hard ware issue

DeusExMachina87

DeusExMachina87

• Pip
  • 2 posts
If purchased from BestBuy, the GeekSquad will take a look at a computer that is under the MFG warranty for free (normally a $70 diagnostic charge). This is true even if you did not get a service plan from BestBuy. If anything, like shard92 said, computers generally come with a one year MFG warranty.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

If purchased from BestBuy, the GeekSquad will take a look at a computer that is under the MFG warranty for free (normally a $70 diagnostic charge). This is true even if you did not get a service plan from BestBuy. If anything, like shard92 said, computers generally come with a one year MFG warranty.

You can also try calling Gateway tech support. I know with Toshiba (I had toshibas 3 yr extended warranty which was wonderful) I just called the local TOshiba repair place, they would say yep you need to bring it in, do you have a warranty? I'd bring it in and within 1-2 days it was ready to be picked up (Toshiba ALWAYS overnighted the needed parts). The longest was 1.5 weeks because first the part was backorderd and then Toshiba shipped the wrong part. They were always quick and efficient. This would DEFINATELY fall under any manufacturers warranty and I would look at seeing about getting the manufacturer to repair it. Look up the local repair company for gateway (they usualy licesne to subcompany, for example, here in lexington, KY IBM/Lenove, Toshiba and I think Dell all used this company Pomeroy).

moussaka

moussaka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
i ended up talking to a tech guy on the gateway site through that live chat thing and they emailed a shipping thing to send it to them so thats what she did. i found out some HPs were having similar issues and HP acknowledged the problem and told people to send theirs in and it would be covered under warranty so i pretty much figured it was a hardware problem.