Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer takes forever to load (if it does at all)

• Please log in to reply

edmd

edmd

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi, I was just at the Hijack This forum and they helped me clean up my computer, however, as much as I would like for my slow computer to be fixed, I still have the same problem.
Let me list what I find to be not right:
1) after rebooting, I get the message "SmartWi Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close"(this is a wireless utility that came with my VAIO Laptop but I guess I don't needed because I can still conect wirelessly to my router after I close the program)
2) from scratch, it takes a good 13-15 minutes for all the applications on Startup to load (which includes MSN, AVG antivirus, Superantispyware, HP digital imaging monitor, and other minor applications.
3) even after that happens, it still looks like the computer is running something in the background
4) after clicking on Internet Explorer, it takes at least 3 minutes of "nothing" for the computer to read "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close", on the last message I was able to copy this comment under Error Signature, I hope it means something to you.
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16735 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0223cb9e
5) after closing IE, I am able to open it normally (and that's how I get to talk to you)
6) Please help!!!!
Thanks, edmd.

Advertisements

Virus killin' man

Virus killin' man

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am wondering who helped you on our forum. It looks like something is still wrong and you could fix it by looking at a Hijackthis log. Also, make sure that your hard drive is almost full. One last thing is that you may have a low RAM, and that is why it is so slow. A combination of a little of everything can hurt your computer.

edmd

edmd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi, the one who helped me was Heir, I don't know if that rings a bell. How do I check if it's my RAM or antispyware that is not detected? We ran a couple of full scans after cleaning the computer and they turned out nothing. I don't think my hard drive is full, it shows at least half of it has free space.
Can you help me with specific steps to take? (Hijackthis already cleaned my computer and Heir told me to come to this forum for help).
Thanks for your time,
edmd

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Virus Killing Machine, if a user was sent over here by a Malware Staff member, please don't try send them back to the HJT forum

edmd

edmd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I would appreciate any help from anybody, thanks.

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Removed malware advice

Read the rules please

edmd

edmd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi Hary, thanks for your reply.
1) My RAM following your steps says 504mb. I am not sure if that is fine for XP according to your "at least" suggestion.
2) About the livecare SCAN, is that a free service?
3) Would you mind telling me what MS Malicious SRT does?
Sorry if I am too inquisitive, it's just that at the HijackThis forum the instructions were a little more "educating" and I would like to know what you are doing or trying to learn before I "continue to do things" to the computer. Hope you don't get upset. Are you planning on following up with this process, I am wondering because I had so far 3 different replies but no followup after (again, I appreciate EVERY help so far).
Thanks
edmd.

edmd

edmd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok, I am back scanning with livecare SCAN, it came up clean, no infections of any kind....
I will work on the MS Malicious SRT...

edmd

edmd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok Hary (or whoever wants to help me),
I did the 2 scans with livecare SCAN, and MS Malicious SRT. No threats or infections found...
I am feeling a bit hopeless.....
Anybody have any ideas???
Again my RAM is 504mb apparently if I looked it up correctly (windows XP).

Thanks to anyone and Happy Thanksgiving...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello edmd...

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click the "Hardware" tab and then the "Device Manager" button. Expand (click +) IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Right click on the Primary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Right click on the Secondary IDE channel, choose "Properties", then click the "Advanced Settings" tab. List the Current Transfer Mode for each device shown for this channel.

Also note any devices shown in Device Manager with a yellow ! or ? next to them. If there are any, please list them for me in your next reply.

wannabe1

edmd

edmd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi wannabe1 , thanks for your help, this is what you requested:
Primary IDE Channel
Device 0 (no type listed), transfer mode: DMA if available, current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5
Device 1 (Auto Detection), transfer mode: DMA if available, current transfer mode: not applicable

Secondary IDE Channel
Device 0 (no type listed), transfer mode: DMA if available, current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2
Device 1 (Auto Detection), transfer mode: DMA if available, current transfer mode: not applicable

I hope this helps, thanks again for your help.
By the way, since I posted this I added Firefox and I must say my IE does not give me the message anymore, but it still takes a while to load (maybe about 2 minutes..., since I disabled MSN and Itunes from the startup menu), also on occasion, depending on the site I am visiting, Firefox crashes and needs to be restarted. It's not always the same site and sometimes the same site that makes Firefox crash may work just fine other times. Sorry, now with different issues but real anyways.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

The transfer modes are all correct. Were there any devices in Device Manager with yellow icons displayed next to them?

edmd

edmd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Nope, no yellow items...
IE is version 7.0 and once I open it (without Firefox), it does the same waiting forever and it sends "IE needs to close"

Edited by edmd, 30 November 2008 - 05:32 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if it's an IE Add On causing the problem.

Click the "Start" button, then "All Programs". Point to "Accessories", then "System Tools", and click on "Internet Explorer (No Add Ons)".

Does this version if IE open correctly?

edmd

edmd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Nope, it does not, it takes forever and does not open...(I mean it opens a blank window but nothing pops up)