Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

moving an installed program from one OS to another

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
my friend is a locksmith and has a program called OpenSource for lock and key data. Here's the rub .... he has this on an old laptop that is running Win98. He got this a while back from his father when he took over the business. He doesn't have the cash to buy a new version of it ($700) and asked me if there is a way to move it to his newer machine that is running Vista. Before you ask, no he no longer has the CD.

is this something that can be done? if so, how?

Thanks in advance

dog

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Nope, can't be done. When you install a program, it places various files throughout Windows, including the Registry, which are needed to run the program.

Murray

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 598 posts
thanks Murray, I guess he'll just have to work hard to keep that laptop from dying/frying ... appreciate the help!

dog