Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Please help, buying new pc

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Have a good look at all of these specifications and let me know if you'd change anything to get a better performance, and/or to get a better price-performance ratio (if, for example, something is unnecessary; ie, 'overkill', so to speak)

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gamer 420W Case with Side Window
Lights & Illumination: NONE
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case, and match the colour of the fans already in the case
Power Supply Upgrade: 1300 Watts Power Supplies (Tagan 1300W TG1300-BZ PipeRock Series Modular Power Supply)
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ i7 920 @ 2.66GHz 8 MB cache LGA1366 ***Overclockable XXX***
Overclocking Service: XXX (Extreme overclocking 20% to 30%)
Cooling Fan: CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Extreme Silent Operation at only 22dBA + Overclock Proof) ***Overclockable S& S***
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394a, &7.1Audio ***Overclockable XXX***
Memory: (Req.DDR3 MainBoard)(3x1GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Triple Channel Memory (G.SKILL PI Series w/Heat Spreader ***Overclockable XXX***)
VGA Power Supply: NONE
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4870 PCI-E x16 512MB DDR5 Video Card
Video Card 2: NONE
Video Card 3: NONE
Monitor & LCD: 24& quot; TFT Active Matrix LCD Display (Samsung SM2443BW 24& quot; 5MS Wide LCD Display DVI Monitor)
2nd Monitor: NONE
Hard Drive: Single Hard Drive (1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: NONE
Hard Drive Cooler: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System (1 x System)
Optical Drive 2: NONE
Sound: Creative Labs X-FI Xtreme Gamer 7.1 PCI Sound Card
Speakers: Logitech X-240 2.1 Configuration Speakers System
Keyboard: Logitech PS/2 Keyboard (Black)
Mouse: Logitech MX518 Gaming-Grade Optical PS2/USB Mouse
Extra Thermal Display : NONE (AS SHOWN)
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: D-LINK DWL G520 Super G 108Mbps PCI Adapter
Wireless 802.11B/G Access Point: NONE
Flash Media Reader/Writer: None
Cable Wiring: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU
Cables: DVI Male to Male Cable (3m)
Video Camera: NONE
Power Surge Protection: Belkin 6-Socket Surge Protector
USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
USB Portable Drive: USB 2.0 3.5& quot; 7200RPM External Hard Drive (USB 2.0 3.5& quot; 7200RPM External Hard Drive 1TB)
Floppy: NONE
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)
Media Center Remote & TV Tuner: NONE

1) Is an external drive better for backing up your entire system safely than Raid 1?

2) What are the benefits of Raid 1 over external drives?

3) Will upgrading from the onboard Network Card make any significant improvement in online gameplay (improving ping and/or upload speed)

4) Is the "Asus P5E DELUXE Intel X48" motherboard relatively 'future-proof' (upgradable in 2-years time to keep up with the latest tech)?

4b) If not, then is the motherboard easily replaceable? (For example, new age games are starting to run very poorly on this machine come 2010: can simple motherboard/processor/video card upgrades do the trick? Will the motherboard and processor perform well in the near future with only video card upgrades, considering the mobo's Crossfire compatibility, and the overclocked E8600)

5) Is the monitor good for gaming?

- I'm also curious about the new i7... Will the i7 become the new E8600 sooner than we think? If the i7 does replace the E8600, and my machine becomes prehistoric as a result, will I be able to upgrade to i7 easily? I'm not sure if I would know how to replace my mobo and processor... so if I had to, would it cost a fortune? Would I need a whole new pc? You see where I'm going with this...

Edited by eldernnine, 25 November 2008 - 11:15 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A 1300w PSU is about as overkill as you can get. You don't need 1300w, you'll never use it.

DDR3 is expensive and wasn't a major step-up from the speeds of DDR2. When introduced it wasn't worth buying it since DDR2 was going for virtually peanuts. Whether things have changed with the newer chipsets with DDR3 I couldn't say. Things change rapidly every 18 months. That particular configuration, on the back of a Google, would suggest it'll wipe the floor with DDR2.

The 108Mbps wireless is useless unless you have a router that can communicate at this speed, otherwise it'll fall back to 54Mbps.

1) If the computer was to be stolen, then you'd lose the lot. At least if you have important stuff on the external drive you'd have a copy of it to put back when the machine is replaced. That's probably a more important consideration to think about.

2) You need two drives for RAID 1. You only have one. Therefore RAID 1 won't happen. RAID 1 is mirroring so you'd only have 500Gb of space to play with. It's more for work-based servers than home use.

3) In theory yes but probably not. These issues are more ISP based than anything else usually.

4) Realistically all current Intel boards (LGA 775) will be effectively obsolete from early next year as a new socket type is introduced. Therefore the machine won't be future-proof. There is no such thing as future-proof in a computer because whatever you buy is effectively obsolete as soon as you pay for it. There's always something new and better round the corner but if you wait for it, something better will follow it. If you keep waiting, you'll never buy anything. LGA 1366 is the new socket type and the board you've listed would be future proof for a while.

5) 5ms response is good. But to me a monitor is a monitor. This particular one seems to come up a lot in other specifications elsewhere online though so maybe it is.

You've already listed an i7 chip. If the board can take an i7 chip now, it'll take pretty much all planned i7 chips as it's brand new technology. And while one day it will fall in price I dare say take-up will be initially limited by current global financial issues, followed by the cost of the hardware which will eventually fall in price.

Edited by Neil Jones, 26 November 2008 - 04:24 PM.

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
eldernnine, has mentioned that this build is no longer being considered in another thread.
Thread closed.