Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chkdsk runs every time I reboot my computer

• Please log in to reply

andybodin

andybodin

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
chkdsk runs every time I reboot my computer, I allow it to run its checks and repairs and the summary message states that it has nothing wrong with the disk. Then the next time I reboot my computer the same thing happens. The computer is working normal. How do I stop the computer from running a chkdsk on the drive every time I reboot. I have one drive with 3 partitions on it. The same partition has the chkdsk program run every time I reboot the computer.

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi andybodin,

I have fixed this problem two different ways, by running a chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console, and by doing a system restore back to before the problem started.

Let me know if you need help with either of these.

andybodin

andybodin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
How do you run chkdsk/r from the recovery console?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
First, we need to access the Recovery Console. If you have a Windows XP CD, just boot to that CD, and when you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to Repair Windows using the Recovery Console. Select the partition you want to repair, usually 1, and press Enter. If it asks you for a password, just press Enter, unless you know you specifically set an administrator password during Windows setup.

If you don't have a CD, run c:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons from the Start > Run dialog box, and if that doesn't work, try c:\WINDOWS\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons. Follow the prompts to install the Recovery Console. Now, the next time you reboot, the Windows Recovery Console will be an option for booting into. Follow the above instructions to get into the actual prompt.

Once you get to C:\WINDOWS>_, just type in chkdsk /r and press Enter. This will run the chkdsk and clear the dirty bit.

EDIT: ((the instructions for installing from the hard drive will only work if you have the i386 folder present on your hard drive.))

Edited by The Admiral, 25 November 2008 - 09:04 PM.