Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nothing Displayed after IE Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Wayman

Wayman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

My name is Wayman. I am using Win ME and try to upgrade the IE to IE 6.0 SP1. However, after the upgrade, restart and system update, nothing is displayed on the screen. No icons, no taskbar, or nothing with right clicking the mouse. They can only displayed in Safe Mode. Does anyone know how to recover it? Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Wayman

Wayman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
In addition, there are only two processes now running. They are Explorer and Zm32

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*
You say you can use your computer in safe mode? Why not trry uninstalling IE? I know you want to stay on top for security reasons, but if it's going to mess up your computer...

Wayman

Wayman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have uninstalled IE 6.0 but still get the problem. Should I uninstall the whole IE??

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
try reinstall

http://support.micro...om/?scid=293174

Wayman

Wayman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
HI, thanks for your article. But it still doesn't work. I've tried repair the IE. It didn't work. And then I even tried to restore windows configuration to an earlier time. But even I chose the earliest check point, it still said that there is no change since that time so I cannot restore. I really don't know what to do now.

I check the difference of running processes when start of safe mode and normal mode. In normal mode the setup50.exe (supposed to be Outlook Express) always running; but safe mode no this process. I suspect the problem is brought while IE upgrade also upgrades the Outlook Express. And in safe mode Process helpctr.exe is running while it isn't in normal mode. Is there any hint of the problem? Thanks very much.

Wayman

Wayman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Should I try to uninstall Outlook Express?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do you have a folder called "windows update files"

Wayman

Wayman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a folder "windows update setup files". Is it the one you are mentioning? How can I use this folder? Thank you.