Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ASUS P5QL Pro doesn't detect SATA HDD

• Please log in to reply

TRBMan

TRBMan

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Me and a buddy finished assembling a computer a few days ago (specs below). We put everything together and turned it on. It booted up BIOS, but didn't detect any SATA or IDE hard drives that I connected. The only thing it would detect was an IDE DVD drive that i hooked up. (i know the hard drives are fine because they work properly in other computers.)
after an entire weekend of fiddling with BIOS settings, and testing various hard drives, we dropped off the PC to our local repair shop. after a day of testing, the repairman called me up and said he narrowed the issue down to a faulty motherboard. the model of this faulty motherboard was an ASUS P5KPL-CM.

after i got the news, i went out and bought myself a brand new ASUS P5QL Pro. we got home, swapped the boards, hooked everything up, then booted up the computer. BAM. Same exact issue. didn't detect any hard drives that I connected. I continued playing with BIOS for a few hours but still couldn't get anything.
i still haven't gotten my board to detect any hard drives! I'm dying to get Windows installed and have my PC up and running.
do i have to install any drivers? how would i install drivers if i don't have an OS intalled yet? please help me.
here are my specs

ASUS P5QL Pro
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz Quad Core
Kingston HyperX 4GB 2x2GB PC28500 DDR2
ATI Radeon HD3650
160GB SATA HDD
40GB IDE HDD
IDE DVDROM Drive

any other information is available upon request

Advertisements

Grandad Phillip

Grandad Phillip

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Windows setup requires you to install SATA drivers for the SATA controller before it can install Windows on a SATA drive.
These drivers are normally supplied by the motherboard manufacturer and should be bundled with it if you bought it in a retail box.
Otherwise they should have the drivers on their website. I'm amazed that repairman didn't even mention the need to install the drivers
before Windows can recognise the drive. You just can't trust anyone to know what they are talking about, it seems

When Windows XP Setup starts, you'll see a message at the bottom of the screen at some point, saying “Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver”.

Please see here: http://xphelpandsupp...ows_xp_on_a.htm

Edited by Grandad Phillip, 26 November 2008 - 05:51 AM.

TRBMan

TRBMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
this should work even if the motherboard doesn't detect the hard drive?

TRBMan

TRBMan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
i slipstreamed the drivers that i found on the motherboard disc and created a new boot disc.

the new boot disc starts up and loads all the drivers, but when it begins to setup windows i get an error that says Windows Can not find a Hard drive to install on.

any other suggestions?